Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Elective Section was AMAZING

FIZZYTEDDY · 03/05/2022 21:46

Just to give any expecting mothers who are due or are thinking about an elective section some reassurance...I LOVED mine!!

I had an ECS due to birthing risks that run in my immediate family with long labours, narrow pelvis, which resulted in cerebral palsy in x2 family members so I opted for a section to minimise any similar risk.

I'm so aware that many mothers also have awful experiences but I just wanted to let others know the huge benefits I found!

Firstly I knew the date - this is pretty great as you can prepare in advance (physically and mentally) for baby coming!

The birth was super quick - baby was out within 45mins

I felt no pain during the op. Some tugging/uncomfortable moments but nothing to note

It was a really controlled, safe and hugely well staffed scenario with very experienced Doctors working on me and baby

I got skin to skin as soon as my son came out! Granted it's a funny angle as you're lying flat so the angle is awkward but it's not for too long as you're soon in recovery better positioned

I got feeding him within 30minutes or so!

I really wasn't too sore post op. Tolerable sharp abdominal pain but nothing that I would imagine vaginal births are like pain wise

There are very few negatives I have. I know the risks well and had the risks explained to me pre-op in addition to that I work as a theatre nurse.

Just wanted to give an honest and positive review of my ECS!

OP's posts:
Please
or

twistingmylemon · 03/05/2022 21:49

Congratulations!!!

I had an ELCS with my second, was amazing for all the reasons you state. I had failed ventouse and emergency forceps first time round and it really traumatised me and the baby.

The ELCS was a dream.

Please
or

Hallibob · 03/05/2022 21:50

This is lovely to read 😊 congratulations!

I'm having an ELCS this time due to a fast and therefore traumatic birth with my first child. I'm only 22 weeks so no date made yet but I'm relieved to hear a positive experience after hearing nothing but disapproval and horror stories from anyone I've told I'm having one Confused

Please
or

maryberryslayers · 03/05/2022 21:52

Same. Would recommend to anyone.

Please
or

Marty13 · 03/05/2022 21:55

Personally didn't have one as I didn't want to deal with the scar and recovery but it's a good option for a lot of people.

Please
or

RedPandaFluff · 03/05/2022 21:56

Me too. I'm so glad I had a c-section - it was peaceful and controlled even though it was technically an emergency (pre eclampsia). Wouldn't hesitate to have ELCS if I were ever lucky enough to have a second.

Congrats, OP!

Please
or

frostytimes · 03/05/2022 22:00

Same here, loved mine and would 100% recommend

Please
or

onetiredmumma33 · 03/05/2022 22:01

I didn't enjoy the experience in theatre, it was too noisy, bright and chaotic. But agree that it was over with quickly, painless and recovery was pretty quick. I was up and about the next day and a week on I am able to do everything I need to around the house, I just can't walk too far.

I wanted a VBAC if I'm honest but elective section has its benefits too and all that really matters is getting our babies here in the safest way I guess.

Please
or

doggiescats · 03/05/2022 22:05

Congratulations on the safe arrival of your son.
I have had 2 ELCS and they were fantastic…I definitely recovered faster than the VB I had previously had .

Please
or

clairebear610 · 03/05/2022 22:08

Congratulations! That is great to hear. Can I ask though, I had one a few weeks ago and am numb from above the scar to just below my belly button. Has anyone else had that? Thanks

Please
or

pedropony76 · 03/05/2022 22:16

Congrats! I literally had mine 13 days ago and I’d say the same. I had a super traumatic first experience where I had three surgeries and needed CBT therapy to really be at peace with everything that happened.

Fast forward to this time round and it was so great. Really nice to have my partner sitting next to me talking to me. Had skin to skin with my son straight away. I agree with the tugging and brief feeling of being uncomfortable. I also don’t like getting into the position of the spinal but it’s not the end of the world. Bubba has been in intensive care since I had him but I still had a great experience.

@clairebear610 omg! I literally have the same thing. I’m numb from above the scar to below the belly button but only on my right side. One of the doctors came to see me whilst on the postnatal ward and said that sometimes when we get cut open, a nerve is pulled (or something like that). So we tend to lose feeling on one side or feel one side quicker than the other. Apparently it can last days, weeks or months, just depends on the person. I hope it doesn’t last too long as it’s so strange to have a numb area on your stomach. I touch it and only feel a tingling feeling

Please
or

PeaceLily2000 · 03/05/2022 22:19

clairebear610

Congratulations! That is great to hear. Can I ask though, I had one a few weeks ago and am numb from above the scar to just below my belly button. Has anyone else had that? Thanks

I had my csection 4 months ago and still numb, can't feel a thing just above the scar. Not sure if it will return and my aunts said her stomach is still numb and my cousin is 24 🥴

Totally agree with all the ELCS positivity though. Mine was a wonderful experience.

Please
or

PineMartenPeanutbutter · 03/05/2022 22:19

I had two after an awful traumatic birth. They were so easy in comparison.

Please
or

Hugasauras · 03/05/2022 22:24

My numbness did go eventually. I can't pinpoint when but DD is 3 and it's been gone for a while.

I have an ELCS next month (eek!) after an emergency one with my first and actually really looking forward to it! Glad yours was so positive, OP.

Please
or

clairebear610 · 03/05/2022 22:26

Thanks @PeaceLily2000 and @Hugasauras

Please
or

FIZZYTEDDY · 03/05/2022 22:30

@clairebear610

The numb scar is weird isn't it?!

I'm 7 months down the line and the sensation on my skin has largely returned around the scar. Still not back to totally normal feeling..and some patches number than others..but definitely not the strange numb feeling all over it.

I remember thinking they'd put local anaesthetic in around the wound (which would be normal in most non-spinal ops) but thinking how odd they would do that as I'd had spinal so totally pointless and the midwife was like "oh no that might stay for a while it's your healing nerve endings"

Bizarre feeling and mine sits right at the same level of our kitchen counter/work top so I often pressed against it without realising at the start 😂

Surprised I didn't know/wasn't informed about the numb wound prior to the section

OP's posts:
Please
or

gggopf · 03/05/2022 22:38

I had a very traumatic birth, both myself and baby were very ill afterwards and I am still having therapy to work through it. However the complications were just bad like and likely to happen to me again than they are to happen to any other labouring woman (ie. No narrow pelvis etc). I am terrified of childbirth though and am considering not having another child if I have to have a vaginal birth, will I be allowed to ask for/'demand' an ELCS? Is that a thing or is 'traumatised and nearly died' not going to be enough?

Please
or

gggopf · 03/05/2022 22:38

*And no more likely

Please
or

stevalnamechanger · 03/05/2022 22:42

Congrats !

Please
or

Apollonia1 · 03/05/2022 23:20

I'm the same.
Had an elective c-section for my twins.
Lovely, peaceful, controlled experience.
I didn't feel any "tugging" - they said I might, but I felt nothing. Babies born one minute apart.
No recovery time - had no pain and was running around pushing the babies in their trolleys the next morning.
Tiny scar, looks like a crease in my skin.
I had been so scared before the op, so I can't believe what a pleasant experience it was.

Please
or

FIZZYTEDDY · 03/05/2022 23:36

@gggopf

You 100% have every good reason to request a section 2nd time round especially given your circumstances..In fact any mother can request a section on the NHS.

They simply cannot refuse a mother one..they may persuade one to go vaginal and/or discourage CS based on risks. Interestingly CS have been discouraged over the years based on funding and budgeting (CS obviously costing the trust more) in some trusts...hence the recent huge investigations and scandal into Shrewsbury and Telford maternity units.

Many mothers have ECS if they are too anxious, worried or traumatised about vaginal births (either from experience or not) This is totally normal and absolutely your choice as a mother.

There are risks involved with both CS and vaginal births, it's just about weighing up your options

OP's posts:
Please
or

nildesparandum · 04/05/2022 00:03

I am envious of you all!
Very few elective sections when I had my two babies who are now 52 and almost 50. Only for existing condition like placenta preavia or deformed pelvis.
Both of my sons born by emergency caesarean first time baby and I nearly died because of the general anaesthetic used, my DS1 still has issues caused by his horrible birth.I have a narrow pelvis and am just 4ft 10 ins tall, but in my second pregnancy I first told I could have an elective section I was pushed and terrified into having a tubal tie during the birth as number of sections then were limited due to GA being used and classical scar which carries danger of rupturing in further labours. Then he goes and changes his mind and decides on a trial of labour which not surprisingly fails my DS2 got stuck inside me back to theatre again.This time the GA did not nearly kill me but my baby needed resuscitation.Thankfully he did not suffer long time problems, and is now a father and grandfather.
I had tubal tie done during his birth so this would not happen again.I have a lovely long scar going right down the middle of my tummy to remind me how my two children came into the world and a life long dread of general anaesthetics and operating theatres.
So pleased for all of you and your babies.Thank goodness times have changed.

Please
or

bluedomino · 04/05/2022 00:08

After a horrific first birth, which I still find hard to talk about and have huge gaps I can't recall, I had an Elective second time around. It was so bloody civilised! I think I bonded better with my second as I was less exhausted and people didn't expect me to be doing a Tesco shop two days later! Midwives were way more understanding and helpful after an Elective, whereas after an awful birth which nearly killed us both, I was expected to leave the next day despite being in utter agony. The Csection scar was way less healing than an episiotomy, a 3rd degree tear and a haemorrhage.

Please
or

bluedomino · 04/05/2022 00:09

I mean...Csection took less healing time than natural birth damage.

Please
or

oviraptor21 · 04/05/2022 00:20

I really wasn't too sore post op. Tolerable sharp abdominal pain but nothing that I would imagine vaginal births are like pain wise

Would just like to observe that I had no pain post birth with any of my vaginal deliveries except for the dreaded postpartum cramps while breastfeeding. I assume that these happen with CS births too as the womb still needs to contract?

Please
or

gungemonster · 04/05/2022 00:23

Loved mine. Would have had more if I'd managed to get pregnant again

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.