Please or to access all these features

Childbirth

Share experiences and get support around labour, birth and recovery.

Anyone been allowed to opt for ELCS part way through VBAC?

2 replies

wyemummy · 28/10/2021 15:11

I’m currently 25wks with DC2 after a traumatic 36 hour labour and EMCS with DS four years ago. With DS I got to 9cm but he was partially back to back, had passed full meconium and had decelerations and borderline acidemia, but even so I had to fight tooth and nail for a c-section as I was under lots of pressure from the consultant to have another go at the Synotocin drip with potential for instruments. I knew DS and I were both at risk so put my foot down and insisted on c-section - the midwife later told me “that was the right decision”.

Long post, sorry. So my question is - has anyone been allowed by their consultant to try for VBAC on the basis that you got to say at what point you wanted to stop and opt for a c-section?

My consultant has said they would ‘set a low bar’ for c-section and I would love a VBAC but I need to feel in control this time as I can’t face feeling that I’m having to fight for baby’s safety and my own again. I also really want to avoid EMCS or instrumental delivery as I need a peaceful birth this time. I feel that having got to 9cm I’d like to have a go at VBAC but leaning towards ELCS as it seems the safer option. We’re also in the middle of nowhere 1.5 hours from the hospital so home birth/local birthing centre is not an option Confused Thanks all Smile

OP posts:
Pac35 · 28/10/2021 15:21

Yes you can! I'm a midwife and we do this at our trust. However, I always remind women that this is 'in theory, a low threshold for casarean'. It may not be appropriate to do a Caesarean section during the pushing stage for example, or if things are progressing normally and you want a caesarean due to the intensity of contractions, or if there is a delay for epidural....
I generally say, listen to your caregivers in labour and they will explain the rationale behind 'carrying on' or doing a caesarean.
Hope that makes sense!

Good luck!

mrssunshinexxx · 29/10/2021 14:57

@wyemummy I'm hoping for a vbac any day now and I really hope I can have one but if anything is going wrong or I feel like it's just not going to happen without interventions et I'll go for a section but to clarify I really don't want a section I'm so hoping for a smoother time this birth

New posts on this thread. Refresh page