Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Home birth no pool stories?

Homebirthvirgin · 11/01/2021 21:50

Hi,
I'm looking for positive birth stories of a first time birth, home birth, no pool! Read loads with a pool but I really just don't want one. I don't really like baths and don't like the though of being all wet (I know that sounds stupid!).
I'm doing the positive birth company digital pack and I can't find any stories on there at home without a pool either.
Am I crazy to not want one?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Homebirthvirgin · 12/01/2021 14:45

Anyone?! Starting to think I'm the only person that wants a home birth without a pool! 😂

OP's posts:
Please
or

Respectabitch · 12/01/2021 14:48

Tbh, I think most "home birth without pool" stories you're going to get are accidental ones!

My HB didn't work out but I would definitely have had a pool. I think most people find warm water amazing in labour so yes, you are probably going to be fairly unusual if you don't fancy that. I would definitely get yourself a TENS if you want to HB without water.

Please
or

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius · 12/01/2021 15:45

I had two home births, with ds2 and ds3. With ds2, I intended to use a birthing pool - we hired one, and dh did set it up, when I’d been in labour for some hours - but when the midwife came and checked me, late in the evening, I was only 1cm dilated, so she suggested I had a bath and went to bed. She was sure I wouldn't be needing the pool for several hours (I have long labours), and told dh to empty it.

I had the bath she suggested, and dh and I went to bed, expecting to go to sleep, and for Labour to start up again properly the next day - but my labour really took off, and eventually we called the midwife out again, when I couldn’t bear it any more - I was actually in transition, but hadn’t realised it, because I was sure the midwife was right, and labour wouldn’t start ‘properly’ until the morning.

By the time she had arrived and had set up the gas and air, I was fully dilated, my waters went on the next contraction, and I had ds2 in two more contractions.

With ds3, we decided to go for a home birth again - despite the length of my labour, and the swiftness of the third stage, and despite us not getting to use the birthing pool, it had been a very positive experience, and I wanted the same for ds3 - but we decided not to bother with the birthing pool - it had been difficult to find one to hire back then (the mid 90s).

My labour started in the morning, when my waters went, but again, my labour was long - 20 hours in total. I hosted an NCT coffee morning while I was in labour, and did some baking in the afternoon, and then a friend who was training as an NCT antenatal class teacher arrived to observe the birth. Ds3 was born in the middle of the night - and like ds2, whilst most of labour went on forever, the final stage took less than 2 minutes.

He was actually born with a true knit in his cord - luckily it was loose - if he had managed to pull it tight, he would have died.

All in all, both my experiences of home birth were great - better than my experience of hospital birth. I was in labour 37.75 hours with ds1 - my waters went around 11pm, as dh and I were going to bed, and we were told I had to go straight in. Dh stayed with me through that night and the next day, while my labour continued very slowly, despite me going for walks, but when we headed into a second night, the antenatal ward staff sent him home. I was given paracetamol for pain relief, which did nothing, and then pethidine, which made me sleep between contractions - but I woke up again for every one, so it felt like the night was one long contraction, and I was all on my own, in a side room - it was a horrible night.

When they examined me in the morning - clearly believing that I had still not progressed at all overnight, the midwives were shocked to find I was 7cm dilated, so they hastily got dh back in, and dispatched me to the labour ward, but once there, things slowed right down again, and I was not fully dilated until 1pm, and I was pushing for another 90minutes - in the end, I had an episiotomy, as the senior midwife said that was the final option before a forceps delivery.

The home births were better experiences not because of the care I received - the care I was given in hospital was good, and the length of the labour was my body’s fault, not the midwives’ - and my subsequent labours were long too - 24 hours, and 20 hours - but it made such a difference being in my own surroundings whilst my labours went on (and on and on).

I’m happy to answer any questions you have, @Homebirthvirgin - and apologies for the essay!

Please
or

LouNatics · 12/01/2021 15:49

I’ve never had a pool or a hospital birth. I don’t think it’s that unusual?

Please
or

Homebirthvirgin · 12/01/2021 19:57

@lounatics it may not be I just feel like it's the norm to have a pool. The midwives etc are all saying to me 'oh you're obviously getting a pool of you're having a home birth' and I'm just wondering if I'm missing a trick by not having one.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Homebirthvirgin · 12/01/2021 19:58

@respectabitch thanks! I'm thinking it might be worth having one set up then it's there if I decided to give it a go rather than regretting it later!

OP's posts:
Please
or

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 12/01/2021 20:01

Three home births - no pool.

Not sure why @Respectabitch would think they’d only happen in accidental home births?

I found moving massively helped with my pain relief and just paced up and down constantly.

What else did you want to know @Homebirthvirgin?

Please
or

Homebirthvirgin · 12/01/2021 20:05

@SDTGisanevilwolefgenius thank you so much, I really appreciate the detail!
Your hospital experience is exactly what I want to avoid. I think I will struggle to progress and 'get into it' in that environment. I just want home comforts but obviously will go on if it comes to it.
I live in a very rural area and it will take a the midwife 20 mins to get here so I hope they don't leave it too late - I've heard plenty of stories of them not making it! I also live am hour from the nearest hospital which I know some of my family are worried about.
Especially for a long labour like yours though, I think being at home would help so much.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Homebirthvirgin · 12/01/2021 20:10

Thanks @georgiethegorgeousgoat
Do you mind me asking where you actually game birth? Bed, floor, sofa?
I'm also presuming that if I really feel the urge to be in the water, I could just get in the bath? Would I be allowed to give birth in the bath if I wanted to?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

petitdonkey · 12/01/2021 20:15

I had two home births with no pool. My first was in hospital and I had a Bath but they limit the temperature which I hated!!! If I ever have a Bath I like them hot so ruled out birthing pool fir that reason!!!

I loved, loved my home births. We put a futon mattress on the living room floor layered with a picnic blanket (waterproof) snd I bought a cheap duvet snd cover. I wandered about then settled in my nest!! With dd1 I just listened to music as it was fast, dd2 I watched a film fir a while. In both cases I naturally found my position on my side (had been in stirrups in hospital!!!) and the whole process was gentle and soft. The midwife didn’t place a hand on me until I was crowning on both occasions- just observed me closely and let nature take over.

I was very fortunate that, in my case, nature was kind but I was fully open to moving to hospital if the midwife had advised it.

Please
or

LynetteScavo · 12/01/2021 20:24

I had a home north without a pool. I couldn't be doing with the faff. I did get in the bath for a bit, but got out when the midwife arrived. I just give birth in the middle of the living room floor on a duvet. I hadn't really given much though as to where I would give birth and it didn't end well for the duvet.

Please
or

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 12/01/2021 20:26

@Homebirthvirgin

Thanks *@georgiethegorgeousgoat*
Do you mind me asking where you actually game birth? Bed, floor, sofa?
I'm also presuming that if I really feel the urge to be in the water, I could just get in the bath? Would I be allowed to give birth in the bath if I wanted to?!

I gave birth on the floor in my knees leaning over the sofa. I tried on my back but it just felt so wrong and I had to move. Dh sat on the sofa so I could hold him and midwifes were on the floor behind me.
Please
or

Whichnamepls · 12/01/2021 22:37

My sister had two in a squashy armchair!

Please
or

Thedutchessofhastings · 12/01/2021 22:56

I had a home birth without a pool. It was my third baby and all my labours were very quick so I didn’t think it would be worth the hassle of setting up a pool. I also didn’t want to put it on the carpet just in case and didn’t fancy labouring in the kitchen by the patio doors!
I had used a pool with my second birth in the hospital and it was ok but not enough to make me want one at home. I remember getting very hot and uncomfortable but not wanting to get out.
For my home birth, I had lots of pillows and a duvet on the floor in the lounge and liked the freedom to move and change position. I didn’t miss the pool at all. Just do what feels right for you. Don’t worry about what everybody else does. A friend of mine has had a few babies at home and always got in the bath during labour although I don’t think she actually gave birth in there. Don’t see why you couldn’t though if your bath is big enough!

Please
or

olderthanyouthink · 12/01/2021 23:04

I had an accidental home birth in the bath so they aren't all dry either, 999 call handler wasn't happy about it but I wouldn't l/couldn't get out and the bath didn't get drained till DD was born. Planning to have a pool for the next one because I remember how much worst it was for the second I left the buoyancy of the water.

I'm not a great lover of baths either but it didn't bother me at the time. Think I'llhsbe a floor nest type option too just in case.

Please
or

Crackery · 12/01/2021 23:09

I had two home births without pools. Never felt desire for a pool. But they were babies 2 and 3. First baby born in a hospital. Both home births very positive.

Please
or

PinkSpring · 12/01/2021 23:13

@Homebirthvirgin I have had two home births, no pool either time.

Did consider one for the second but my first birth was quick and the second was quicker so seemed a bit pointless as I probably wouldn't have used it much (plus it seems like a lot of faff and the drainage seems a bit gross.....)

PM if you want to ask anything

Please
or

LouNatics · 13/01/2021 10:30

I just had all mine on the floor I suppose, but I was standing for my first two births as it seemed easier at the time. I really didn’t have the space for a pool nor did I ever really fancy one, it seemed like a lot of work and hassle. I can’t imagine I’d want to be building something up or filling a pool when I’m in labour, and I hear they take a long time to fill. What if you didn’t like it? Then youd be all wet, and might have to get out, and then someone would need to drain it and clear up. Or if you ended up giving birth before it was ready, that’s a lot of faff, or if you were in there for ages, how to keep it warm and clean. Better and easier just to bundle up a load of towels after and bung them in the wash I’d have thought.

I guess birth pools always felt like they went with the big house, doting husband, fairy lights type of vibe and I was more aligned with the council flat, terrified boyfriend, top up the electric meter vibe. Babies come out though regardless.

Please
or

lobsteroll · 13/01/2021 10:44

Go on YouTube and search for Emily Norris home birth. She had one a few years ago and talks about it, even vlogged it I think. She didn't have a pool and had the baby on the couch.

Please
or

InTheFamilyTree · 13/01/2021 22:50

Lol @LouNatics similar here, actually managed to squeeze a pool in the living room but didn't use it in the end. Hypnobirthing worked so well I was convinced it wasn't hard enough for me to need the pool yet, ended up birthing in the bathroom. Not sure I'll bother this time, like the idea of water but also seems like too much hassle, setting up.

Please
or

bestsquirrelinthewholehole · 14/01/2021 17:00

I had a home birth, no pool, I couldn't be bothered with the faff of having it up, keeping the water at 37°c getting rid of all that water. It was just not something that was THAT important to me.
Home birth itself was grest, midwives were amazing, laboured in the lounge and gave birth leaning on a birth ball on the lounge floor.
We bought cheap shower curtain to lay on the floor but they bought plenty of disposable mats with them, I had gas and air. And after delivery was checked up on for 2hours after. Couldnt ask for a better experience. Am having a second homebirth this year.

Please
or

ChocOrange1 · 14/01/2021 22:40

Planned home birth here with no pool. I thought they were expensive and would be a pain to fit somewhere in our small house, I didn't really wasnt to give birth in the conservatory and it wouldn't fit anywhere else! I put plastic sheets on the bed and set up a "nest" in the living room with old sofa cushions, blankets and towels and an old duvet.

We actually ended up going to hospital as there was no staff to come out to us (during first lockdown, they were short of midwives due to self isolating) but I would have been quite happy to have her on the floor bed we had made up, I definitely didn't miss the pool.

Please
or

lightlypoached · 14/01/2021 22:44

Not first time but planned hone birth, no pool.

Lovely. Best experience ever. He was a big baby and came fast. So much better than hospital, for me.

Please
or

emsyj37 · 14/01/2021 22:49

I've had a home birth with and a home birth without a pool
Advantage of the pool was the ease of cleaning up - the midwife drained it into the garden, all done. I love a hot bath but by the end of my labour I was BOILING and sweating and couldn't wait to get out.
Without the pool I gave birth kneeling on the floor leaning against the couch. I couldn't have laid back, I have to be upright and moving during labour.
Couldn't recommend a home birth highly enough - both incredibly positive and amazing experiences.

Please
or

Jasminesmellingcandles · 14/01/2021 22:54

Two home births without pools, I moved a lot in my labours so sitting in the pool didn’t appeal to me. Also I labour quickly so think would have been a faff for little use!
Good luck.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.