Please or to access all these features

Childbirth

Share experiences and get support around labour, birth and recovery.

Try vbac or csection- cannot decide!

4 replies

Wudgy · 03/08/2020 11:29

Had an emergency section with last pregnancy due to failed induction at 37 weeks ( due to pre-eclampsia) the section was fine but I found the recovery tough. All fine in the end though . Now 36 weeks and need to decide at this weeks appointment what I want to do- it’s a surprise to everyone that I havnt had the same medical issues this pregnancy so far as I had with last so currently no medical reason from induction / section etc. I had thought all along I would have a section and cited that as a preference at each appointment but now I’m getting closer I’m panicking about the recovery with another child to look after etc. But equally I am so done with this pregnancy and don’t want to go over and don’t want to be induced as this failed last time ( although I know it was early). Any advice?! I feel like this week they will want to book in a date if it’s a section and I also would like a date to aim for , could I suggest willing to try vbac if I go into labour spontaneously and if not a section at term?

OP posts:
Hurryupbaby11 · 03/08/2020 22:12

I recently had a VBAC and was so glad I did - also struggled a bit with recovery after DS1 and relished the difference after my VBAC.

Was fairly set on a VBAC until I went overdue and then started to resign myself to having another section. Was quite anti induction so spoke to my maternity unit and they booked me in at 40+12 (the most they would let me go over) - they were happy for me to have a VBAC up to that point if I went into labour spontaneously but at least I had a date set if not. On the day, I could go in and see how I felt about an induction with the option to go straight for a section if I preferred. So all very flexible.

Luckily went into labour at 40+10 but reassured me knowing a plan was in place if it didn't happen.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Hurryupbaby11 · 03/08/2020 22:19

Sorry, should have added, they were happy to book me in for a section at any point so sure it would be ok to book a section date at term and then see what happens up to that point! Seems like a good compromise if you're a little unsure on VBAC/2nd section and also don't want to go overdue.

Wudgy · 04/08/2020 08:09

@Hurryupbaby11 thank you that’s great you had a plan in place and good they would have let you book a section and see how you felt, I think that’s what I’m going to ask for!

OP posts:
Lockdownseperation · 04/08/2020 08:11

I had a vbac and also really happy I did. I was expecting a large baby so eventually agreed to a c section at 39 weeks luckily my baby came before then.

New posts on this thread. Refresh page