Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please contact your GP or local mental health support services.

Child mental health

Worried about my 6 year old daughter

2 replies

PinotAndPlaydough · 09/06/2018 14:47

I really apologise if this is long but I want to cover everything and I don’t really know the best way to explain some of her behaviour.

Over the last few months she seems to have become very unhappy, she doesn’t seem to find joy in much any more. We do things I know she likes but there still seems to be a general air of being a bit miserable around her.

She gets angry very quickly and the main cause of this is having to share or her not being able to control how a game is going. This can result in her crying for upwards of 45 minutes and shouting at me that it’s unfair.

She doesn’t care about anything, her school work, extra curricular activists etc which she used to take a lot of pride and pleasure in. If for example I say we need to practice her spellings for school she’ll ask why, I’ll explain that practice can help us get better at something and ask if she wants to get better and she just says she doesn’t care.

She has friends at school but doesn’t seem bothered by them much and doesn’t seem invested in the friendships, again she says she doesn’t care if they like her or not.

She seems to find it really hard to express her feelings and emotions, recently a family member who she is very close to moved 5hrs away, we had a leaving party and people were openly upset and tearful. She just looked very bemused by it, I asked her if she was upset and she just shrugged and said “but they aren’t dead”. I actually don’t think she’s every cried because she’s sad, angry yes but not sad.

She displays none of these behaviours at school or clubs, I’ve spoken to her teacher and she has no concerns. She’s always been a serious little girl and has always found expressing her self hard but she seems so unhappy at the moment, it breaks my heart. She’s adamant she’s not being bullied but did say that a few months ago she witnessed some bullying that scared her and it’s made her scared to go to school but it’s taken her 6+ weeks to finally tell me this. My job means I am always there after school and at weekends (although she does have to share my attention on some days with other children) her dad works crazy hours which does mean she doesn’t get to see him much.

Depression runs in both sides of the family and I’m terrified this maybe a problem for her. I’m also worried that something awful has happened and this has caused some of the recent sadness. I have a phone appointment with the gp to discuss it because I’m so worried about her but would love some advice here.

OP posts:
Please
or

Crazyhorse123 · 21/06/2018 22:46

I am having a similar experience. My just six year old son is gran at school except struggles with attention. At home he is insanely jealous of his little sister. He is getting very angry and crying, shouting. Even hitting. I have booked to see GP but I feel overwhelmed by his change in behaviour ANd looking for a cause. I’m So worried. May seek some assessment but what?

Please
or

PinotAndPlaydough · 22/06/2018 21:05

My gp has recommended a councilling service which you self refer to, the other thing she has suggested is vitamin D. Apparently lack of vitamin d can impact your mood, my daughter takes a daily multivitamin and we spend a lot of time outside rain or shine so it wasn’t something I had considered. She has been on it for a week now and there is a slight improvement in her mood.

I hope your appointment goes well Smile

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?