Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Starting again (almost)

Flighttattendant · 30/06/2010 10:22

Well, I am miserable but there's no way around it. I was complacent and I was wrong, and yesterday morning, when I was out taking ds to school, or maybe even when we were back - the fox came and took two of my darling birds

I noticed the third one sat in our alley, and thought she was lost and had got over the fence by mistake, so shooed her back up the garden, and it was then I realised the others weren't around.

She wandered over to behind the Christmas tree we planted, and I went and found the first, having been mauled but not taken.

The second took me a while to find, under an apple tree with her head missing.

I shut the last one up in the run and went back in - I couldn't face burying them. later I did, of course in the searing heat and dry earth. Poor lonely girl on her own - the farmer advised keeping her in the shed we'd been finishing for them, so she wasn't too scared by the fox coming back (which he will) and in a few days getting some company for her.
I am absolutely gutted. Our covered run was in progress but I kept gambling with thier little lives, thinking 'Oh we haven't seen the fox for weeks, they have been safe' etc etc

and they seemed SO happy in the shaded bit where I'm not building the run. At least they were happy.

They put up a hell of a fight. One was injured badly straight away I think, the other had been round the whole garden as evidenced by the feathers everywhere - she fought to get away. I am so proud of her and angry that I didn't hear, and didn't save them, also that the b*stard fox didn't even use them to feed its kids. What a waste.

I cried for ages and can't get over it.
I have to go and ventilate the shed a bit s she will be too hot in there...God, I nearly jacked the whole thing in, it seems so sad to fence them in but I know now there's nothing else we can do.

OP's posts:
Please
or

saltyseadog · 30/06/2010 10:50

Oh flight - I'm so, so sorry

Please
or

Flighttattendant · 30/06/2010 14:13

Thanks, Salty...I'm still getting tearful and feel tremendously guilty.

Poor old love sitting in the shed though - she looks OK physically, but she is wondering where her mates are I think.

The way she walked over to one of them, stood there and clucked a bit - I had to follow her and find out what she wanted, and that was when I saw.

So I think she knows what happened really. Farmer is at a big show this weekend but first thing next week we will have some more.

I've been digging the soil all morning for the wire of the run...just been and got posts and stuff. It's all got a bit urgent suddenly!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

saltyseadog · 30/06/2010 18:13

Please don't feel guilty flight. The foxes around us are completely brazen (I regularly see them in broad daylight whilst walking the dogs) and I don't know of anyone in our village who hasn't lost a flock at some point.

I'm glad you can get some new girls quickly - what are they? Bless your surviving girl for clucking over her mate.

Please
or

thegoodishlife · 30/06/2010 19:07

Oh flight I am in tears reading your post - It's my greatest fear and unfortunately, completely beyond our control. Please don't blame yourself, because it is in no way your fault. Foxes are nasty, sly animals who will do anything they can to ruin the lives of happy chickens.

It's good that your making your run more secure, there's not much else more you can do. Also glad to see you are getting new chickens next week, they won't replace your ladies but will definately help to cheer you up, and give your brave little remaining hen some needed company!

Chin up, and again please don't blame yourself.

xxxx

Please
or

Millie1 · 30/06/2010 21:20

Oh I'm so sorry Flight ... don't feel guilty, you simply have no idea when a fox will pounce, and you gave them a wonderful life. Aren't animals amazing ... your poor remaining girl must be puzzled, lonely & confused. Sounds good to let her settle for a few days and then introduce some new friends.

Please
or

bramblebooks · 30/06/2010 21:47

I'm so sorry. I've been madly checking our run for any gaps tonight. Foxes are always hungry for our ladies, and our ladies are brave girls. x

Please
or

Flighttattendant · 01/07/2010 11:37

Thankyou, you are all really lovely and kind.

I've been out building all yesterday and have ordered some more timber today. It's starting to take shape.

I'm not entirely sure how to do the ground, though...I've sunk the wire along one edge but the other side has too many roots to dig. Hoping they will keep Mr Fox out but I could slab it along there too - what do you all do?

Also not sure how we are doing the roof!

OP's posts:
Please
or

saltyseadog · 01/07/2010 12:38

You need to speak to nickelbabe Flight - IIRC she has a very impressive uber-run that she built

Please
or

Flighttattendant · 01/07/2010 17:18

Oh yes I need to find her photos again! We are basing it on that, from memory..but obv not as good

Thankyou

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.