Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Im a temporary chicken mummy.......reassure me

nappyzoneloveslindor · 14/05/2010 21:06

only until Monday. Work has been doing the live hatching thing this week and i have been hooked - 7 of the 11 have hatched and i have 7 fluffy little chicks in my care till Monday. Driving them home i had that taking a new baby home feeling..... I may call upon you over this weekend so be gentle with me as i am in fear i dont take all 7 back iyswim.

They are currently huddled together under the lamp but do keep wandering off for food and drink so i think they are warm enough. They are chirping away. Totally mesmerised with them.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Millie1 · 15/05/2010 13:22

Wow - how lovely. How are they today?

Please
or

nappyzoneloveslindor · 15/05/2010 16:14

Gorgeous - i was worried thye would not be warm enough through the night so put some bubble wrap over them last night obv leaving ventilation then got up at 4am just to check them and they were all asleep . I have cleaned their brooder thingy . All seven alive and well......... i so want to keep a couple lol

OP's posts:
Please
or

Millie1 · 15/05/2010 16:36

Do!! They sound just beautiful. We got our first chickens yesterday and I'm head over heels about them! They do poop a lot though

Please
or

nappyzoneloveslindor · 15/05/2010 17:35

God i would love to but if i kept a couple back knowing my luck they would be roosters and i have no idea what breed they are or anything. We have two "free range" guinea pigs at the moment which are about 4 year old - if we did not have those wrecking the garden already i would love a couple of chooks. I am going to start up a secret "eglu" fund for when they shuffle off..........

We live in an average newish build with neighbours all around so not sure they would be over chuffed mind.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Saggyoldclothcatpuss · 16/05/2010 10:03

Just get hens, the neighbours will never know! I've hatched out and reared lots myself, it is lovely. (when I say myself, I mean with an incubator and lamp bythe way!) hens are marvellous!
Millie, great to hear you have your birds now. Please start a thread so we can hear all about them.

Please
or

nappyzoneloveschinesefood · 17/05/2010 18:25

They went back to wrk today and on Friday they go back to the farm though we do get the option to home them ourselves i am going to give it a miss in case i end up with 2 roosters and plus i dont know the breed and lets face it some are pretty blardy ugly! My dd was in tears this am so we have promised to properly research the possibility and visiting the farm to see them realistically when they are older.

Please
or

nappyzoneloveschinesefood · 19/05/2010 14:25

urghh today i went back to work having left them in care of others for 2 days and 3 of them had mass poo balls stuck to them which i then read could be fatal so today i had to don the midwife gloves and remove the poo masses from there "vent", it was balk-tastic so i was constantly uttering the mantra "im saving your life removing winnets". . My job has nothing to do with chickens and poo buy the way lol!

Please
or

Millie1 · 19/05/2010 14:43

LOL - the joys!

Please
or

nappyzoneloveschinesefood · 19/05/2010 19:33

it so wasnt!

I could feel there pain and their piercing tweets for mercy - must have been like waxing a hairy pubey area for the poor loves...

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.