My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

How to fix a leaking roof?

8 replies

SamanthaFox · 01/05/2010 08:41

Our roof seems to be leaking into the ark. It's wooden, and I don't know what to do about it.

Has anyone managed to sort this out, and if so, how do you do it please? I don't want to just use a tarp because I don't want them to have ventilation issues.

Thanks.

OP posts:
luciemule · 01/05/2010 08:56

first you need to work out where it's leaking from and then suss out if it's a cracked tile(s) or whether it's perhaps the felt slipped/damaged that could be replaced.
A roofer will come and have a look for free usually.

SamanthaFox · 01/05/2010 09:16

Thankyou...no it's actually the ark itself that is leaking. Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I will check to see if the wood has any gaps and might be able to fill them...thanks for your help x

OP posts:
bronze · 02/05/2010 22:15

Is the roof all wood too or is it felt or something?

SamanthaFox · 03/05/2010 10:36

Hi Bronze, thanks for answering...it's tongue and groove. I think I have figured out the problem - I was being thick. The side panel was off when I noticed the water...but the place where the water was, was covered iyswim. But I think it could perhaps have run down from the open bit.
Sorry this sounds ridiculous but honestly it looked like it was coming in from the wooden bit. [clnfused] We had solid rain yesterday and it doesn't appear to have leaked again, so fingers crossed it is OK...

OTOH I have realised that the slabs under the run get extremely wet, all over, as the water just drips down from the top bit and sits on them. At least it is not turning into Glastonbury for the chickens, but it is still wet for them. Poor things.

iN the light of this I have now decided to convert the very old, very wonky shed for them to go and shuffle about in when it is raining. And this has a big roofing felt problem, unless I can find some corrugated iron I am going to have to just re-feltit and hope the red mite doesn't get to be a problem. The roof being so high up, is this likely? I'll see what homebase have got in terms of plastic stuff.
Have managed to bodge the door beautifully though this morning, whichw as hanging at an agle and wouldn't shut. It is now chicken proof - have put bricks round the bottom where it had rotted, and now just need to make them a pop hole

Very excited. Might even have room for, I dunno, about 20 more chickens in there!

OP posts:
luciemule · 03/05/2010 20:53

It's a chicken house??????
You didn't say that.
Oh. Just read topic title. I thought you were on about your roof!!!!!
You mjust have been peeing yourself laughing at my 'roofer' solution!!1 .

SamanthaFox · 03/05/2010 20:58

LOL Lucie, no, I thought you were very sweet to answer at all, nobody else did for a while! Thanks x

OP posts:
luciemule · 03/05/2010 21:03

I feel reallt now. Will pay more more attention next time.
I did wonder why you named your house the Ark! I resigned myself to thinking you must live in a boathouse!

SamanthaFox · 03/05/2010 21:10

That's so funny
Please don't be embarrassed. I have done the same before.
A pertinent example of a thread entitled 'Eden Lake' under movie reviews, and me thinking it was Baby names

there you go. No one is immune.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.