Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Can I keep chickens in a rabbit hutch?

Ceasnake · 21/04/2010 20:01

Mr Ceasnake has finally said that I can 'look into' keeping chickens - which means we're getting chickens. Yay! I already have a large 6' x 4' wood and chicken wire run and a rabbit hutch that sits on top of it, with a ramp leading down to the run. Would chickens be happy to live in this? Would I need to put perches in the hutch or would they do without them? The hutch has an wire-mesh door and a solid door so I thought the dark bit of the hutch might do for a nest box.

Have never had chickens before and am reading up on care etc but any other tips would be great.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OnlyWantsOne · 22/04/2010 09:46

My friends chickens live free range and roost in the dog run (above the dog) of their own accord, I think as long as they are safe, and warm and dry and know where "home" is - they will be fine.

Not sure about perches, but yes I think you will need to x

Please
or

nickelbabe · 26/04/2010 14:01

they can sleep in a rabbit hutch, depending on how high the hutch is.

give them at least 2ce their height, and it will need a perch at least 3 inches from the bottom of the hutch.
the wire part is not suitable for them to sleep in though as they hate drafts. provided the hutch is high emough, it might be worth covering the mesh with thin board.
keep an inch at the top uncovered so that they have breathing vents. (gaps can be at the top but not at the bottom)

Please
or

SamanthaFox · 04/05/2010 07:46

also watch out with the roof being felt - they are notorious for providing the ideal place for red mite to hide!

I agree with Nickel that they will need a dark, enclosed place to sleep.

Did you decide to go for it?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.