Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

*****isthatporridgeinyourhair *****

Doodlez · 11/02/2010 12:12

PORRIDGE!!!!!! I think I know where my two new Silkies are coming from! After a lot of searching and phoning around, I stumbled across this breeder:- Pear Tree Poultry

I've spoken to Ken, the owner, on the phone and he has some nearly POL Splash & Partridge (as well as other colours).

I'm going up there with the children next week to take a closer look.

I am stupidly excited!

Anti-peck spray now administered on Silver. Star still broody so Silver is mostly being left alone in a good way but also lonesome - not so good! The two new girls, even though they'll be in the Introduction area, should help - Silver will be able to chat to them through the fence!

Photos next week!

OP's posts:
Please
or

isthatporridgeinyourhair · 11/02/2010 13:25

How exciting! I wouldn't worry about being excited - my sister couldn't sleep before we went to get her new black pekins last week! Can't wait to see photos!I love looking at other peoples chickens - does that sound a bit peculiar? Hopefully the new additions will help - don't worry if there's a bit of argy bargy initially.

Anyway, this forum is no good for me, after discussing new birds I decided to bite the bullet and put my name down for 3 trios from Tinson and Hidden for next year. I already have some coming this spring - I daren't tell DH the cost especially since I have eggs incubating too (currently concealed behind the breadmaker in the utility room).

Do you have poultry shows where you live?

Please
or

Doodlez · 11/02/2010 14:19

Behind the bread maker?! Think he might catch on when he hears the cheaping

Yes, we do have shows but mostly farmers/community shows. I was at the Poynton show last year and the T&H white Silkie had won her class. T&H had a few birds entered. Fabulous stock!

DH became mezmorised by the ugliest, blackest, meanest looking bird he'd ever clapped eyes on. He couldn't take his eyes off it and kept shuddering, like someone had walked over his grave! So I strolled up to the show pen and started exclaiming how beautiful it was (was a cockrel) and ooooohhhh, how much would I lurve one of those etc. Poor DH, he went white as snow! Dunno what it was! Sure it must have said on the front of the cage but I got dragged off sharpish before I could look

I love this forum! Like-minded eegits!

OP's posts:
Please
or

isthatporridgeinyourhair · 11/02/2010 14:44

LOL - poor DH! I think mine is relieved that I have settled on a fairly innocuous breed. Have you seen some of the spurs on some of the larger cockerels? No wonder some of those poor hens have to wear saddles!They're pretty scary.

Thinking about the splash silkies - I think that they are sooo pretty. I'm trying to concentrate (!) on the standard colours otherwise I'd end up with rainbow of silkies!

Very of your weekend.

Please
or

Doodlez · 19/02/2010 11:15

Well, not been to pick new girls Porridge - been so freezing cold here this week, we've decided to hold off until night time temps. get above freezing and stay above freezing! Otherwise, new girlies will have to be bought into the shed every night and to be honest, it's not brilliantly ventilated.

Fingers crossed for next week but Met Office is predicting minus 9 for Monday night

OP's posts:
Please
or

isthatporridgeinyourhair · 19/02/2010 11:51

There you are! I was wondering what had happened! Sounds v sensible - please keep me posted!

V happy here today as all the eggs in my incubator candled as fertile. Unfortunately DH discovered it !

Please
or

Doodlez · 19/02/2010 13:51

What did he say when he discovered it??? You need a bigger bread maker and a sound-proof incy!

The problem with this delay - I keep dithering about whether to get another two Silkies OR shall I chance it and go with a more prolific layer less prone to broodiness....maybe an Aracuna or a Sussex.

See, if the weather had held, I'd've bought the things by now and these ideas wouldn't be driving me mad!

OP's posts:
Please
or

isthatporridgeinyourhair · 19/02/2010 14:57

Something along the lines of "You've taken all the plugs up on the worksurface". Have decided that a new shed is necessary for show prep and incubation anyway and have convinced DH that it would lead to marital harmony if we had "his" and "hers" sheds. He could then store his rubbish useful equipment in his and I could put all my chicken stuff in mine and have room for a sink and other stuff for chicken beautification. Bliss

Anyway down to business - how can you tempt me with thoughts of other breeds! If I wasn't committed to the silkies I'd be like a kid in a sweetshop.

Have to confess a weakness for aracunas, polands, and pekins. OOh love silver laced sebrights too. Do you want/ need reliable egg layers then? Silkies can be a bit dodgy, my sisters pekins (all 25!) go broody fairly regularly and have only just started laying again.

Do let me know and I'll have a think and try to NOT GET ANY MORE CHICKENS in the meantime.

Please
or

bramblebooks · 19/02/2010 14:58

This is so exciting!

My creamlegbar is showing all the signs of coming into lay - crouching, face furniture, etc, no eggs yet.

Do any of you know where I can get frizzles from - am in NW.
x

Please
or

isthatporridgeinyourhair · 19/02/2010 15:34

Hi Bramblebooks

Ooh like frizzles too especially poland frizzles- are you after any particular type?

Please
or

bramblebooks · 20/02/2010 15:48

Not sure, but the apricot coloured ones are absolutely gorgeous.
I don't know whether it was a chicken dream, but I heard of orpington frizzles - I would imagine they'd take up an entire cube each!

Please
or

isthatporridgeinyourhair · 21/02/2010 22:41

At least one cube! I saw some beautiful lavender orpingtons last weekend - they were absolutely HUGE.

You can get frizzle buff orps - not a dream! The Frizzle Society might be able to point you in the right direction of a reputable breeder in the NW.

Please
or

bramblebooks · 22/02/2010 08:13

omg. how fab! Both cube and eglu currently occupied ... but one day!

Please
or

Doodlez · 25/02/2010 08:22

Morning ladies

Still not bought them

Life keeps getting in the way of me going up to Preston to choose!

The good news though - weather looks a bit less Arctic round here for the next week or so, so should be OK to leave any new additions in the introducing pen now!

OP's posts:
Please
or

isthatporridgeinyourhair · 25/02/2010 14:27

FGS hurry up! I want details!

Please
or

Doodlez · 25/02/2010 18:18

I know, I know, I know....I'm slacking but I'm on it! There's a remote chance I might be able to go tomorrow morning - I'm working on it!

Silver is still moping around on her own because Star is still broody! I'm using the opportunity to get her really fed to the gills on greens, grains, poultry spice, meal worms, garlic etc in the afternoons. Trying to fatten her up a bit and give her a fighting chance for when Star muscles in again!

She looks lonesome though

Watch this space!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.