My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

chickens vs the garden, housing run advice needed

3 replies

braid · 13/01/2010 13:53

Hi I'm confused on how best to house 6 chooks. At the moment they are in an immobile 11ft by 11ft run with a wooden house. I let them out to free range. We have a big garden, about acre and a half. I know in the spring they will annoy me digging up veg and plants so I will need to contain them but think the permanent run will be miserable. Should I fence off a big area of garden? How big would it need to be to avoid it becoming a mud run. Alternatively I could put them in eglu cube with run and move it around but that would feel v restrictive. I like seeing them scratching around the place. What would you do please? All involves more money of course.

OP posts:
Feelingforty · 12/02/2010 23:19

sounds like my dilemma...will keep watching !

Doodlez · 12/02/2010 23:41

Buy some chicken fencing and put it around your veg patch and lawn! It's dead easy to move around, so you could give them a new area to FR in periodically. I bought mine from Omlet and it's fab. Some days, I fence off a specific border I want weeding, put the chickens in (with some water available for them to drink) and let them get on with it!

11ft x 11ft run sounds mahoosive! 6 chickens would be fine in there permenantly as well - just put some perches and interesting stuff in it for them to play around!

nickelbabe · 16/02/2010 13:43

what Doodlez said

anything the chickens aren't allowed to dig in gets surrounded by chicken wire, then they can do what they like to the rest!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.