Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Does anyone have ducks?

Bramshott · 06/05/2009 09:22

Does anyone here keep ducks? DH is very keen (I think partly because so many people now have chickens and he likes to be different ) but I'm not sure.

OP's posts:
Please
or

meltedmarsbars · 06/05/2009 13:48

Friend does. V messy.

We have geese. Agressive brs. 11 goslings at moment.

Please
or

paisleyleaf · 06/05/2009 13:52

Used to. They are messy....you need an area you'd be happy end up a quagmire.
They were such fun to have around....but I've got used to having a nice garden now.
I never particularly liked duck eggs either.

Please
or

clumsymum · 06/05/2009 13:54

Duck eggs are FANTASTIC for baking. My mum used to make the most wonderful Sachertorte when we had ducks...

Please
or

Bramshott · 06/05/2009 13:59

So when you say messy - we're talking duck poo on the grass aren't we?! A friend had ducks when I was growing up, and this is my main memory of them.

Can you give them a (big) run like chickens, or do they have to be totally free range? Do you absolutely HAVE to have a pond?

OP's posts:
Please
or

paisleyleaf · 06/05/2009 14:05

I didn't mean poo - but now you mention it, yes that is pretty messy with ducks.
I'd meant water off them...if they got access to a pool, pond or anything, then they trample around.
I feel its a bit unfair for them not to have some sort of access to water.....we're by a river, but they also had a tin bath in the garden which they loved

Please
or

geekgirl · 06/05/2009 14:05

mega-messy. and yes you do have to give them a pond (in my experience, which was admittedly limited to trying to cope with ducks for about 6 weeks) because they're forever washing themselves in whatever water they can find - if they've only got a drinker they'll end up washing their beaks in that and you need to refill it several times a day.

Also, they don't lay most of the year like hens do, and they're generally much more skittish than chickens. With chickens you've got a good chance of them being quite tame and happy to be held by children etc. - ducks just seem to run. Hens are much more fun and useful.

Please
or

Bramshott · 06/05/2009 14:09

Thanks, this is all useful.

We don't have a pond currently, but we could definitely put in something, I'm just not sure it would be big enough for any concerted swimming efforts they might want to do . . . .!

OP's posts:
Please
or

meltedmarsbars · 06/05/2009 14:22

Ducks do taste good, though!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.