My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

Oyster-grit - how much?

4 replies

Cakehead · 24/03/2009 13:20

First time chicken keeper here. Chooks arrived on Friday and are in an Eglu on our lawn. We'll let them out a bit once they've got used to us, so they will have a bit of free-ranging. How much Oyster-grit should I be adding to their food? Don't want to overload them but don't want them going short either... Thanks!

OP posts:
Doodle2U · 24/03/2009 20:16

If you're feeding them layers pellets, as supplied by Omlet, then technically, they don't really need extra grit (apparently).

If they will eventually free-range, they'll pick up extra grit (but not neccesarily calcium based) when they're scarifying your lawn raking about.

I use organic pellets and my three free-range but just for peace of mind, I scatter a few handfuls of grit inside their run every two or three weeks, so when they're scratting about in there before I let them out, they get the grit.

MarmadukeScarlet · 14/04/2009 22:01

I use a mix of grit (for digestion essential) and oyster shells for calcium (desirable for good egg production after 1 yr old iirc )

madlentileater · 15/04/2009 21:32

I give them egg shells.
Bake them in the oven and crumble them up really fine

sylvev · 18/04/2009 10:08

Hi, our hens free range every day, but still help themselves to some oyster grit every now and then. We just put some in a small dish attached to the side of the food run, next to their feeders. Seems to work well.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.