Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Omlet Cube....will it blow away from our garden?!

CheeryCherry · 02/03/2009 21:19

Considering cube Vs eglu, and the advantages of the cube are ever growing...(besides the obvious cost issues!) but we live in a remote, very windy area, and am worried it may blow over. I realise I can put bricks on top of the wire on the ground, but am still concerned that if its off the ground, it may be wobbly.
Also, while am wondering, don't want 10 hens, prob only 4 or 5, so will cube be too big?
Decisions, decisions!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheButterflyEffect · 02/03/2009 21:27

Message withdrawn

Please
or

bramblebooks · 02/03/2009 21:34

My cube is coming on Monday

happy dance

I've bought the extra run bit, so the birds will have 3m in total (including under the cube). I'll only have four in the run and will free range them when I'm there to supervise (local fox).

Please
or

CheeryCherry · 02/03/2009 22:13

Butterfly...thats great news! Wouldn't want to be worrying night after night if it gets bad. Why can't chicks be raised? (not that I am thinking along those lines) I was hoping to get the extended run like bramblebrooks....please let me know how it goes on Monday! Am excited for you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheButterflyEffect · 03/03/2009 01:55

Message withdrawn

Please
or

TheButterflyEffect · 03/03/2009 01:55

Message withdrawn

Please
or

bramblebooks · 03/03/2009 18:52

Very excited for Monday!! Omlet are sending a man to build it - about which I am muchly relieved! Could have had it tomorrow otherwise. hmmm?!!
The new youngsters will go into the cube, and there'll only be two of them, so I'd better put in a lot of straw. I'll then have to combine my existing two from the eglu once there's been a quarantine period.

Please
or

thesockmonsterofdoom · 04/03/2009 07:30

It would deffo not blow away, it is very very heavy. I buiklt mine on my own (well with a very helpful 2yo). we have a cube with 2 extensions currently housing 6 girls but hopefully going up to nine when and if I can integrate the ex batts.
BB - are you excited?

Please
or

bramblebooks · 04/03/2009 14:56

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!
I had a meeting out near the poultry suppliers today and called in on the way back to get an idea of which girls - I'm thinking a jasmine (skyline type) and a plymouth rock now! Won't be able to pick up until next Fri (unless I take current older stock - which will lay sooner) - then I can go on WEds

Please
or

thesockmonsterofdoom · 05/03/2009 07:23

skyline - do you mean blue eggs? whats a plymouth rock - like a black rock?

Please
or

bramblebooks · 05/03/2009 07:36

It's a gorgeous black and white speckled type thing. The skyline will be a hybrid of the skyline line, called a jasmine. It has a little tuft of feathers on the head and an 80% chance of blue/green, but otherwise white eggs - all interesting colours! A bit more hardy and a year-round layer. It would also be at least 6 weeks before any cream legbars are available at the breeders, and I need to get all the girls settled in before holidays start.

Please
or

TheButterflyEffect · 07/03/2009 23:46

Message withdrawn

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.