My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

o helpful chickeny mumsnetters, I have what is probably a stoooopid question...

10 replies

TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk · 05/10/2008 21:55

Dp has almost finished making the hen house, we have found a feed supplier, we have investigated the best kind of bedding for our ladies, we have found a farm and booked the particular chooks we want, we have checked that none of our neighbours object to us keeping chickens, we are nearly ready

And someone told us we need to apply to DEFRA for permission.

We were

But dp wanted me to double check with you lot that he's talking a load of tosh and for six birds in our back garden, DEFRA really do not need to be consulted.

(or, is he right? If he is, I shall be surprised, but am prepared to accept that I do not know everything about everything so tis possible )

OP posts:
TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk · 06/10/2008 08:28

any morning chickeners know?

OP posts:
murphyslaw · 06/10/2008 09:00

I only thought you needed DEFRA permission if you were keeping a large number of birds ?

SaintRiven · 06/10/2008 09:02

no you don't. Its 50 chickens before you have to call defra. A few in your back garden is fine.
Good luck with your girls.

mehgalegs · 06/10/2008 10:17

Riven is correct. 50 birds before you need to reg.

thesockmonsterofdoom · 06/10/2008 12:56

what are you getting?

tortoiseshell · 07/10/2008 12:55

Yep, only once you reach 50.

tortoiseshell · 07/10/2008 12:55

You can voluntarily register, and then they will keep you informed about things like avian flu, but tbh I wouldn't bother!

Doodle2U · 07/10/2008 12:58

You should, however, double-check that you have no clauses or covenants/restrictions on your mortgage/deeds. Sometimes there are restrictions and they were put in place to prevent people from keeping COCKRELS but the definition is usually just POULTRY.

TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk · 08/10/2008 12:57

we're getting marans, sussex and orpingtons (so far, that may change in the next day or so )

We live in a rented house, but we have checked with the landlords and they don't object. They said that they wanted to know if we got a cockerel, but chickens are okay and we can have as many as we like.

And... I'm kinda banking on you guys to keep me updated on things like avian flu

Thanks for all the advice, sorry I didn't get back to the thread sooner - been off line a day or two.

OP posts:
NappiesLaGore · 08/10/2008 16:43

we have an orpington. lovely bird.
we want sussex and marans too.
and guinea fowl!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.