Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Chickens & pregnancy - any issues

KazzaL · 30/06/2008 14:13

I've finally convinced my DH to let me have chickens, won an Ark to keep them in on eBay last night and arranged to pick some chickens up from my local breeder in a couple of weeks time and then I was talking to the nursery nurse at DS1's nursery this morning and she said she was told she couldn't go near the chickens when a lcoal farmer bought some in for the children to look at and DC2 is due in Feb 09.

I know there is the issues with toxoplasmosis with cats & sheep - it's great that DH has to clear the cat poo off the lawn for a few months, but i'd not found out anything about chickens (only the salmonella problem with eggs & meat) - even my PG friend whose mum keeps chickens & sheep was allowed to feed the chickens by her mum last time she went home.

Can anyone advise - i'm getting a bit worried now and would hate for my ark to sit in the garden empty till next spring.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 30/06/2008 18:11

With sheep there is an issue of cross contamination or something. With chickens I would just avoid eating the eggs unless properly cooked.

Wouldn't worry about it tbh - just make sure you thoroughly wash your hands after any contact with them, which is good practice anyway - use an antibacterial hand wash and you'll be fine!

Please
or

mel2005 · 01/07/2008 14:17

i am 12+3 weeks pregnant with twins and i clean out/feed etc my chickens. i do wash my hands whenever i do anything with them but i did that anyway. i am happy to eat runny boiled eggs only from my hens as i know what they have been eating and where they have been and i know they have not been sick.
i havent heard anything about hens and pregnancy only about the salmonella in eggs.
you could buy some disposable gloves to clean them out. i dont actually touch anything as its got newspaper in the poop trays (which i just fold up and dispose of) in the house and in the run i have hemcore which i sweep onto the shovel and put into the compost bin.

Please
or

KazzaL · 03/07/2008 12:31

Thanks both of you - not worried anymore and will definitely not put my hen shopping trip on hold - will probably be after lots of advice once they arrive

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.