Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Loveheart Pompom was put to sleep today.

StripeyKnickersSpottySocks · 31/05/2008 16:41

My dd's pet silkie. I think its always been a sickly looking thing to be honest and its only ever layed 2 eggs in its life.

Its been shuffling about the last month and spending a lot of time lieing down (but jumping up for grain, treats, etc).

Last night its neck was twisted to one side. So I told dh to take it to the vets this morning, hoping it might be an ear infection. But also worried about Marek's or even Newastle disease. When I saw it before I went to work it couldn't stand up. The vet said it was very ill, but didn't know what was wrong with it but put it to sleep.

I'm just worried its something infectious and the others (inc new chicks) will get it.

I've promised dd if the other chicken's are ok in a couple of weeks we will go to Storrs and she can choose a couple more.

As Storrs sell 7 weeks old chicks and my 3 chicks will be 7 weeks old by then do you think that the old chicks will accept new ones if I get some and put them in the chick run?

OP's posts:
Please
or

electricbarbarella · 01/06/2008 09:37

for your dd.

Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 02/06/2008 15:07

• sorry about your silkie. I have a feeling twisted neck is something silkies are prone to - will have a look for you as I'm sure I remember reading something about it.
Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 02/06/2008 15:11

I think seahorse syndrome is what I'm thinking of - there was an article in Practical Poultry mag a few months back, (btw, spotted you on the forum!).

Please
or

StripeyKnickersSpottySocks · 02/06/2008 19:11

Hello - Yes someone did mention Seahorse Syndrome on PP. But I've tried googling for it and can't find anything. I haven't got that issue of PP.

OP's posts:
Please
or

aefondkiss · 02/06/2008 21:32

stripey that is about your silkie.

I hope your other chooks are okay.

Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 02/06/2008 22:41

I've found my article on Seahorse Syndrome - if you CAT me I could send it to you, but the main points are;

also known as cerebral hernia, crooked neck, seahorse syndrome.

Mostly affects crested breeds - Polands and Silkies.

No particular way of treating it - tends not to have a happy outcome.

Main authority on it is Sue Bowser - associated with Silkie Club of GB.

Story of one Silkie; reluctant to leave house, when lifted out later, was showing early signs of a slightly bent neck. Became worse fairly quickly, by the following day it was badly arched and twisted. When encouraged to stand the bird rolled over on to its back.

Sue Bowser suggested treatment with cortisone in jections and baytril (a chicken AB). In this case the bird recovered. However it is usually incurable and terminal.

Silkies and Polands have different sort of skull structure - have a 'vaulted skull'.

Sometimes wrongly diagnosed as Marek's. Some birds begin by wobbling their head until the head twists round, or is forced down between their legs.

One suggestion is a vitamin imbalance - possibly supplement with vitamins B and C.

Most common at around 4 months old.

Cause can be genetic or physical.

Please
or

handlemecarefully · 02/06/2008 22:47

sympathies....

Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 03/06/2008 11:01

sorry stripey, seahorse thing sounds horrible.

7 week old chicks will probably be ok accepting 2 or more new chicks of same age - i'd proceed as with adults though and put newbies in at night and then keep an eye on them. any squabbling will probably be shortlived.

Please
or

StripeyKnickersSpottySocks · 03/06/2008 11:06

Tortishell - thanks for the info. It does sound like it was Seahorse syndrome. I found some other info on the net when I searched for cerebal hernia.

Think I will get 2x more chicks in a fortnight then which should keep dd happy.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.