My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

laying soft eggs???

6 replies

MrsOnTheMove · 29/05/2008 16:21

Got our chickens about a month ago - one has been laying for a couple of weeks, the second laid her first egg two days ago, nothing yesterday - then today there were 2 eggs in the nest box.

The dc's have just found a very small soft egg in the garden, which i am 100% sure was not there yesterday - I assume chicken no.3 has laid it today but what about the fact that it was very soft???

They have pellets, grit and corn mix to eat. Any suggestions...

OP posts:
clarinsgirl · 29/05/2008 16:26

Erm, I seem to remember this from when I kept chickens as a child. I think that hens do occasionally lay 'soft' eggs (blip in the egg making system!). If this become a pattern then I think lack of calcium may be the cause.

Give it a few days and see if it sorts itself out.

MrsOnTheMove · 29/05/2008 16:28

thanks clarinsgirl - I wondered if it was because it was her first egg? she has the same diet as the others, so will see what happens

OP posts:
MrsOnTheMove · 30/05/2008 09:50

bump..

got woken at 5.30am by one of the chickens making a lot of noise. Let them out of coop to find a broken soft egg under the perch - am trying to work out if it was the same chicken to lay it as yesterday or if one of the others has started laying soft eggs?

Is there anything I can add to their diet to stop this - they have grit as well as pellets, corn in the afternoon and free range all day?

OP posts:
tortoiseSHELL · 30/05/2008 10:07

It probably is because she is just coming into lay. There is a product you can add to the water, which is liquid calcium, but tbh for now I would just see if they harden up. The other thing you could do is to bake some broken egg shells and put those in with the grit.

MrsOnTheMove · 30/05/2008 10:14

I've kept some egg shells from this morning, had planned on baking them and adding to grit today.

thank you for your help - having a small panic as we are away next week and mum is looking after the chickens. Hoping it is nothing serious, I googled 'soft eggs' and found too much info...

OP posts:
tortoiseSHELL · 30/05/2008 11:43

I'm sure it's just that they're just starting to lay - they can lay weird eggs before they get settled into laying.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.