Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

I've just candled the eggs...

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 15/05/2008 20:58

on Day 14. And of the 12, 10 are looking good and 2 I'm not sure about. They're not completely clear and there are no blood rings but there's not much dark stuff either.

Anyway, I've left the 2 questionable eggs in but put them at one end of the incy so I'll know whether they hatch or whether I was right to be dubious. I'm not going to bother with Day 18 candling, seems like overkill.

It's much more technical than just letting the hens get on with it isn't it? But rather enjoyable too!

So, chicks due in 7 days. Baby due in 11.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 15/05/2008 20:59

How exciting! Dare I ask which you're more excited about?

Please
or

ingles2 · 15/05/2008 21:02

It's very exciting candling eggs I think...
but tbh I'd rather have the baby
Good Luck with all your hatches DONB x

Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 15/05/2008 21:46

I think I am more excited about the chicks. I've had 3 babies before but I've never hatched chicks in an incy. The incy has novelty value! arf!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ingles2 · 15/05/2008 22:27

chicks are soooo adorable (but only for a week or two)

Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 16/05/2008 00:02

I can just imagine your mw coming round to do a visit;
'how's everything going? how's little one?'
'come and see my chicks'
'yes, but how is the feeding going? Any problems?'
'well, one of the little ones didn't seem very keen on the chick crumbs, but they've perked up now...'
' plenty of pees and poos?'
'don't you know chickens don't wee separately????'
'well I can see YOU're not going to have any problems...'

Seriously, hope it's really exciting, and that the baby is really exciting too!!!!!!

Please
or

duchesse · 16/05/2008 00:04

OOH, a chick antenatal thread! Can I join you? I'm on day 15 (they went in on 1st May)

Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 16/05/2008 09:37

Oh good duchesse, we can compare hatchings as they're due at the same time.

t/shell - my MW is an ex-chicken keeper and she will also be more interested in the chicks. Goodness, I really do live in Cold Comfort Farm territory don't I?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 16/05/2008 09:55

oh she must be a good one then!

Please
or

duchesse · 16/05/2008 12:28

Incidentally, some of eggs I am incubating I am doing for a friend whose baby is due on the 31st- she didn't fancy her chances as a fairly new chicken keeper of being able to rear both chicks and baby successfully.

And our local midwife is obsessed with quails. When she came to book me in on my last and doomed pregnancy, a couple of hours after I'd been released from hospital after a bleed, was in tremendous pain and unable to concentrate because of it, all she could do was attempt to rehome her flipping quail with me.

Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 16/05/2008 20:09

What an utterly crap midwife.

Sensible on your friends part in case she has to stay in hospital for any length of time. DH will manage our chicks if I'm not able to do anything post-birth (which would be a first as I tend to drop babies out with relative ease). The chicks will stay in the same spare bedroom that the incubator is in for a week or so making it easy to keep an eye on them. The pen is all set up, we just need to turn the electric hen on at the first sign of pipping.

OP's posts:
Please
or

duchesse · 16/05/2008 21:52

Just what I thought at the time. I was almost glad she wasn't going to be my midwife after all when I lost the baby at 13 weeks (never heard from her again btw- don't know if it standard practice to drop miscarriers like poisoned hot potatoes...)

Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 20/05/2008 20:43

Day 19 in the incy. I've upped the humidity and ceased turning. Now I just have to wait... (and I'm bloody impatient)!

duchesse - I m/c at 6 weeks last year. I telephoned the midwife unit, who gave excellent advice and said to contact GP if pain was too much. I didn't actually have any pain at all so I didn't see anyone and nobody contacted me. I'm surprised that there was no follow up for you though, 13 weeks is more serious.

OP's posts:
Please
or

handlemecarefully · 21/05/2008 13:12

Any sign of pipping yet?

Please
or

MehgaLegs · 21/05/2008 13:40

The last day is the hardest to wait.

Although I did have one hatch on day 20, came home from hospital after DS 4's op to find a fluffy chick in the incy.

I found it really hard to resisit the urge to take the lid off.

Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 21/05/2008 14:18

Day 20: I have just been up for a look and there is nothing happening. . Definitely no tapping, pipping or cheeping and none of the eggs are moving.

They are Sussex eggs though which are larger than average so maybe Day 22/23?...

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 21/05/2008 17:05

Update: 3 eggs now have tiny holes and one is cheeping at me.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MehgaLegs · 21/05/2008 18:25

Hooray!! Hope you wake up to an incy full of chicks.

Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 21/05/2008 19:29

One hole is big enough to see a bit of fluff through! DCs very excited. A 4th egg has a tiny chip in it and another is wobbling.

Bugger the football v Child of our Time problem - I'll be checking the incy every 5 minutes!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 21/05/2008 23:14

First chick is out. One of those speedy arrivals, I'm sure it wasn't one of the pipped eggs when I went up earlier but it's completely hatched out and stumbling about and cheeping happily (but looks a bit groggy and needs a nice long snooze).

The other pipped eggs haven't moved on (but they probably will now they're being kicked about by the mini-teradactyl).

It's fab to watch (without mother hen taking your eyes out).

OP's posts:
Please
or

MehgaLegs · 22/05/2008 10:27

How many more today or has all this hatching activity set you off too?

Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 22/05/2008 10:28

Yay!

Please
or

handlemecarefully · 22/05/2008 11:17

Very exciting stuff!

Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 22/05/2008 11:46

Chick no. 2 arrived in the night and another between the children looking at 7am and leaving for school at 8.30am. Another is on the verge of hatching now. One egg has a hole with a beak poking out. Two eggs are rocking.

And it's only the morning of Day 21 so the other 4 or 5 eggs still have plenty of time.

I've switched the electric hen on, the first two chicks are dry, fluffy, beady-eyed and leaping about so as soon as the 'hen' is warm enough, I'll move them.

And my car has just passed it's MOT without requiring any work. Happy days!

OP's posts:
Please
or

duchesse · 22/05/2008 13:01

Mine are pipping!! Had to chuck one dangerously oozy one out about three days ago, and have doubts about another, but looking good so far...

Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 22/05/2008 14:43

Hurrah for pipping duchesse!

We have 4 chicks so far. 2 black and 2 orangey-yellow. Another preparing to hatch (black again).

Yet another egg is in trouble, seems to be stuck to shell, but it has it's beak out so at least it's breathing. Hopefully blood vessels will dry up and it'll pop out.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.