Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

cats - can you have chickens roaming and cats?

MicrowaveOnly · 21/04/2008 17:21

can i train the cats, or are they scared of big chickens? any advice..it would be nice to see birds get their own back on my killer cats.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 21/04/2008 17:26

Chickens are usually too big to seriously interest cats - the cats might make a play of chasing them but they'll probably get a peck on the nose. Unless your cats are enormous feral things!

Our chickens have been known to peck our Great Dane on the nose if he gets too sniffy.

Please
or

cyteen · 21/04/2008 17:28

How about ducks? I'm still nurturing a dream of having polytunnels patrolled by Indian runner ducks, but wondered if my pair of fat, lazy moggies would prove an impediment.

Please
or

OofyProsser · 21/04/2008 17:38

Ducks won't take any nonsense from moggies.

And if you want seriously aggressive birds, get some geese. Very nasty.

But if it's veg in the polytunnels, the birds will eat the lot.

Please
or

cyteen · 21/04/2008 17:49

Aha, cheers Oofy I nicked the idea from some hippy types I visited who ran a thriving organic veg concern - they kept Indian runner ducks in the polytunnels as apparently the ducks ate the slugs.

Still, I currently live in a terrace with no garden so have probably got time yet to research more thoroughly!

Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 21/04/2008 19:48

I love Indian Runner Ducks!!!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.