My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

I never thought I would post in here...but

6 replies

StealthPolarBear · 03/04/2008 11:29

I bought some eggs from a local farm this morning. Didn't want to out myself as the townie that I am by asking, but how long would you keep them for? Obviously I'll just not use them if they're off but as a rough guide - 2 weeks? 3?

OP posts:
GentleOtter · 03/04/2008 12:52

If in doubt float the eggs in a jug of water. If they are fresh then they lie at the bottom and when they are older they start to float up a bit. A really bad egg will float on the water.
You are best using them in the first week but that is just a personal opinion as they do keep a bit longer but might be a bit past it after three weeks.

StealthPolarBear · 03/04/2008 12:54

thanks - I'll do that!
I just know when I buy them from the supermarket they are about 2 weeks best before date.

OP posts:
cornflakegirl · 03/04/2008 13:33

I think St Delia says 3 weeks. She reckons supermarket eggs are generally a week old when you buy them iirc.

StealthPolarBear · 03/04/2008 13:39

they have poo and feathers all over them - were they laid in a field or something?? You wouldn't get this with nice clean eggs from Tesco!
seriously, do I give them a quick wash if I'm boiling them?

OP posts:
tortoiseSHELL · 03/04/2008 13:41

They keep for about 3 weeks, but check in water.

Don't wash them in water colder than the egg, so use warm water to wash them if you want to, but don't wash them till just before you use them.

StealthPolarBear · 03/04/2008 13:43

thanks everyone

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.