Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Right, let's all be truthful here...

GentleOtter · 26/03/2008 14:07

What names have you given your chickens?
Ours were all a called a ripe Anglo-Saxon word yesterday but have been forgiven today. I would love to know what names you have given your poultry and especially if their breed suits the name.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Callisto · 26/03/2008 15:17

My Barbu cockerel is called Fabien Pelous, his Barbu wife is Coco. The two Seabrights are Rosie and Ruby.

Please
or

GentleOtter · 26/03/2008 16:28

Oh, they all sound like jewels, Callisto.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dilbertina · 26/03/2008 16:38

A warning to all - do not let children name anything.

DS (18mths) named white one "MOO" now extended to "MRS MOO" but not really much better...

DD (3) named grey one "BUCKET" tried to prefix that with Hyacinth but she won't hear of it.

I had given up by this point as my perfectly reasonable suggestions of "Hilda" "Tilly" etc had been rejected by everyone.

DH (36) named red one "Chicken Little"

I bet everyone else has lovely names [sob]

Please
or

Callisto · 26/03/2008 18:01

My 3 yo dd decided that our dogs were to be renamed BO and Fanny. My partner and I have never used either word in front of her so I have no idea how she came about these charming 'names'. Thank goodness it didn't last long and they are back to Peasy and Piggie Boo. (They are really called Tana and Gus).

Bucket does have unfortunate connotations...

Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 26/03/2008 20:18

We started off with three -

a Speckeldy called 'Speckeldy Selina' (named by ds1)
Black Rock called Ginger
Black Leghorn called 'Sarah Jemima' (named by dd)

Sarah Jemima alas died fairly quickly, so was replaced by 2 Bovan Goldlines called Honey and Dopey.

Please
or

ingles2 · 26/03/2008 20:41

big sigh

ours are called
roast
fried
kebab
supreme
and big boy!

the ducks were
bombay
peking
hoi sin

seriously
dh and ds's thought this was hilarious!

Please
or

redwino · 26/03/2008 20:45

Ours are called Steve McQueen (likes escaping), Attilla the Hen (nasty hen), Mary (after a work colleague who gets a bit picked on) and Hen with No Name.(yet)

Please
or

GentleOtter · 26/03/2008 22:37

ROFL at Moo!
We have Miss Jean Brodie, Penny Dainty (a jungle fowl) all the main layers are called Elizabeth - the cocks are LeStat and George.
All the lady cochins are Vienne and all the little bantam cochins are called Jenny.
The rest who are More Free Range Than Is Necessary and who are distant blobs on the horizon have no names.
The latest addition is Enigma the Aylesbury duck who just appeared ...no one knows where it came from.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 26/03/2008 23:26

Only our cockerel has a name - he's Voldemort. And only because DH couldn't remember what breed he was after we'd left the chicken farm, it's a Vorwerk, and DH had several stabs at it before giving up and saying Voldy.

Please
or

ska · 27/03/2008 15:01

clucky
pheobe
whiskers
flora
ginger
rocky
darling chick chick
cottie
sunny
spice
tomato ketchup
collie
dusty
missy
lacey

hmm not very good names are they? all named by the kids tho

Please
or

ska · 27/03/2008 15:02

oh and the two ducks were pip and daisy. not all the chooks got names

Please
or

StripeyKnickersSpottySocks · 30/03/2008 19:32

Started off with Florence, Henrietta and Speckles. Specled died and after 3+ years I killed the other two.

Then bought Spackles (mark II), Rocky and Loveheart PomPom.

DD wouldn't let me call them Nugget, Korma, and Burger.

Please
or

missingtheaction · 30/03/2008 19:37

did you kill them deliberately or accidentally? was it a crime of passion or with malice aforethought? and what method did you use? and did you eat the evidence??? (chicken death is a big worry of mine...)

Please
or

bunjies · 30/03/2008 19:48

We've got 3 chickens, all Sussexes (sp?), named by the kids:

Pecker
Chickaty
Chocolate

Please
or

Rivvy · 30/03/2008 19:53

Happy Feet as he's black and white and did a funny dance when he was a chick.

Aran, was Arabella until we realised our mistake!

Sophie
Isabel
Annabel

3 Mrs Happy Feet Wives yet to be named

4 Aran chicks also yet to be named

Children named them all!

Please
or

WelliesAndPyjamas · 30/03/2008 19:55

Our cockerel is called Horace, because when we bought him we found it funny that it sounds very close to the bosnian word for cockerel (horos) and it kind of stuck. Not all the chickens have names, and the ones that do are for obvious reasons: blondie, blackie, hopalong, whitie (before she popped her clogs), and some of them are called brownie.

Please
or

StripeyKnickersSpottySocks · 31/03/2008 09:45

I killed them deliberately as they were of an age where they'd stopped laying. Someoe did the first one for me then I did the second one (necked them).

I know lots of people on here would probably disagree with killing a chicken as its not laying anymore. But I used to live on a farm and have always believed that an animal thats not useful has no place. I don't really see my chickens as pets. I had to get rid of them to make space for new chickens.

I do think its important that anyone who keeps chickens learns how to dispatch them. They could get sick and need killing.

Please
or

WelliesAndPyjamas · 31/03/2008 10:28

I have dispatched if they stop laying. Stands to reason. For me anyway, much as I love having them around.

Please
or

handlemecarefully · 31/03/2008 14:52

My cockerel is named Orlando (after Orlando Bloom). I don't have names for the girls because they all the look the same so it seemed a bit redundant

Please
or

handlemecarefully · 31/03/2008 14:54

Stripy I have no problem with that. However - did you gut the chicken etc yourself for the table? I understand that this is a messy and unpleasant job...I have every intention of taking mine the local farm shop (who also do meat) to do the deed for me when the time comes

Please
or

DaisySteiner · 31/03/2008 14:57

Ours are mostly named after female relatives - Christine, Celia, Dorothy, Hilda, Bessie, Janet and Doris. The cockerel is named Elvis.

Our pair of Indian Runner ducks are called Charles and Camilla and the other two are called Cagney and Lacey

Please
or

mummydoc · 31/03/2008 15:00

original 2 called melody ( child of ariel the little mermaid and character in little mermaid 2) and black beauty ( even though was lovely reddish brown rhode island), then had several babies called nugget, korma, kebab and ketchup ( dd thought quite funny, dd2 didn't quite get it!) now have speckaldy called "white hen" and mixed breed called black beauty the third. cockeral was called sid ( as in sid vishous ) but recently dispatched him as he kept attacking kids.

Please
or

DragonPeaHead · 31/03/2008 15:33

we have given up naming ours
Except our cockerel. He is the son of our original cock who was called Bouncy . So of course this one is called Bouncysson, or McBouncy, or O'Bouncy, or Son of the Bounster or Bounceopulos or some variation of the same...

Please
or

oggsfrog · 31/03/2008 15:33

Primrose - Maran
Egg - Buff Orp
Clever Chicken - Light Sussex
Small Feet - - " -
Custard - Buff OrpXSussex
Charlie - - " -
Flora - - " -
Unnamed cockerel soon to be despatched and eaten.
In the past we have had Black Betty, Bimbo, Tim, Bent Bum, Speckle, Stupid Chicken, Ginger, and various others that were never named.

Please
or

StripeyKnickersSpottySocks · 31/03/2008 18:02

HMC - they ended up as ferret food as they were getting on for nearly 4 years old. By that age they would have been so tough. I thought if you killed a chicken for eating it should be at about 35 weeks old? Or was it even less than that? Not sure a farm shop would be interested in older chickens.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.