My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

How do you stop your run being so whiffy?

2 replies

CheshireDing · 24/10/2021 21:37

They have an Omlet run with the extension on and hardwood chippings which I rake and put Dry Bed on. They still stink though.

What do you do to stop yours being so smelly please?

OP posts:
Quail15 · 24/10/2021 21:41

I have a big walk in run with wood chip on the ground. Every time I clean them out I use ground sanitiser - it really helps with the smell. I also try and keep the run as dry as possible as they definitely smell more when the ground is damp.

www.viovet.co.uk/Natures-Grub-Ground-Sanitising-And-Disinfecting-Powder-Poultry/c77686/?quick_find=381406&utm_source=sag&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces_UK&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_codPM0jGEMAIUefdBIjUHHzmPewS-dCNaWNdhwf6Vf6HqimXVqnMsaAu-mEALw_wcB

Chasingsquirrels · 27/10/2021 10:23

The size of the run makes a difference. Mine were in an area about 6mx6m and I never noticed any smell at all.
Last winter with avian flu they were confined to a covered area about 2mx1m and it was awful.
They are now in an area about 12ft x 16ft, with half of it being undercover. I notice a slight smell but not horrible just chickeny. I do try and scoop most of the ground poo on a daily basis when I replace the newspaper layer in their house.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.