My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

Superficial I know, however I would like to know do most enclosures end up looking knackered?

7 replies

ChetChet · 24/05/2021 16:33

I'm currently looking at 2nd hand coops to buy and of course I'm viewing chicken set ups in people's back gardens.
No criticism from me, it's neither nor there..however my only initial thought is when looking at the walk in runs is that it all looks quite tired. Even set ups that are a few months old by the OP's description - the wood inside and out looks badly weathered and dark, the structure looks battered, I don't know, the whole overall look is just scruffy. I'm not on about the floor area the chickens roam on as I know full well how that'll look, I'm talking about all the housing and accessories. I'm surprised at how drabby it seems from the photos I'm looking at it becomes.
How do you keep your set ups in tip top condition?

OP posts:
Hellocatshome · 24/05/2021 16:46

Yep, chickens can make anything look crap in a matter of days, also if they are wooden they have to be treated regularly to keep on top of red mite. If you don't like the rustic look you may be better with an Eglu type set up.

ChetChet · 24/05/2021 17:07

Ha! You know, I'm a bit saddened to see the Omlet houses look very sun bleached and dingy. I'm buying an Eglu nevertheless, but the difference between the vivid green houses on fancy shmancy Pinterest posts vs Elgus in real life, real time is a bit of a smack!

I didn't consider the frequent treatments of red mite causing the wood to look so beaten. DH wants to build the walk in run from scratch, he'll absolutely do a great job - however I'm beginning to believe metal housing would be far far better. I will still give it all kerb appeal with hanging baskets and a plant to train and climb up one side of the walk in run. I know that if my run looked in bad nick after a short space of time I'd get antsy over it.

OP posts:
1starwars2 · 25/05/2021 12:56

I think they will eat the lovely plant and the hanging baskets if they can reach them....

ChetChet · 26/05/2021 13:33

I'm sure you're right. The climbing plant is intended to attract insects (also give element protection, and look nicer) and give the chickens a bit of stimulation when trying to get at them. I won't mind too much if they half decimate the plant in the process. The hanging baskets will be high up, way high on the end of brackets. No way they'll get to them... I'm sure..

I've looked at so many 2nd hand wooden enclosures that my minds made up for a metal one instead. I like the green Omlet enclosures, their shape is nice too. But I'll buy either a Clever Coop house or a Green Frog.

OP posts:
ProfYaffle · 26/05/2021 13:47

Agree with pp, chickens are incredibly messy. The coops need frequent cleaning/scrubbing/treating which makes them looks shabby quickly. They're susceptible to the weather, rain washes the poo about, sun bleaches plastic, bits get blown off in the wind. I also found we had to keep adding bits to our set up to foil their eating/destroying/escapology so it was festooned with extra plastic to keep the rain off or extra bits of netting and chicken wire.

And, yes, they will eat the climbing plants before they have chance to grow!

ChetChet · 27/05/2021 13:32

Ahhh yes, but we love the naughty messy things.

Thank you for the replies. DH told me he's gutted I want a metal enclosure Grin he was really looking forward to getting on with making the chicken run.

OP posts:
Hellocatshome · 27/05/2021 13:51

If you dont like mess just please don't be tempted to add a fee ducks to your flock, I have ducks and honestly they make chickens look like amateurs in the mess making game.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.