Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Do you mix your chickens?

StarspaXxX · 25/01/2020 13:55

Question from a newby about to take the plunge and buy first chickens.

If you're buying from the same place and they've been reared together, is mixing some breeds okay when you have a snall number? How does pecking order work?

OP's posts:
Please
or

CatsMother66 · 25/01/2020 14:59

Mixing is fine if they have been reared together in the same field. Some breeds will have certain characteristics ie tendency to feather pick/ go broody etc, best ask the breeder for advice depending on what chickens they have. Pecking order will happen but will only last a few days until established. Chickens can get nasty so keep an eye on them for any injuries caused as an injured hen will become a target for all. It’ll be mostly a few pecks, chasing away but will soon settle down. It seems stressful as they’ll be squawking and flapping whilst it goes on but only step in if a chicken is hurt.

Please
or

StarspaXxX · 25/01/2020 16:23

Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

cjpark · 27/01/2020 17:06

I like having a mix of breeds! it helps me know who's laying as they have different coloured eggs, it gives me a more constant supply and they look pretty! Just get birds that have been raised together and you should be fine.

Please
or

StarspaXxX · 27/01/2020 21:55

Thanks, I think that's my plan!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.