My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

Omlet or wooden coop?

12 replies

jamoncrumpet · 29/07/2019 15:42

After years of research and procrastination we have ordered three ex battery hens to arrive next week. Just trying to work out which coop is best - wooden type affair or Omlet? Obviously we want to keep them as clean and mite free as possible, while also being safe from Mr Fox.

What would you go for if you were in our position?

OP posts:
Pennina · 30/07/2019 11:04

Hi there,

Are you a first timer to hen keeping? If so then an omlet is great for just 3 and easy to keep clean. However I understand that they are quite expensive and a wooden coop would do the trick equally well and be a lot cheaper. They are not quite as easy to keep clean though but not difficult either!

Hope all goes well and you enjoy your hens

Px

Sooverthemill · 30/07/2019 11:08

We had hens for years and years and started with a wooden ark for 3 and progressed to a huge penthouse for 15. They are addictive! Our big wooden coops lasted well, we used animal friendly preservative on them and cleaned them out weekly with a round 2 months for a big clean. We never had mites ( ash from fire for a dust bath helps). But I would have loved an omelet eglu if we ever had the money. They fetch huge sums second hand so I think it's worth getting one if you can afford it and you can sell it on when you go for more hens ( you will!)

Screamanger · 30/07/2019 11:10

We opted for a wooden shed as it was free for our 4 chickens. It works just as well

jamoncrumpet · 30/07/2019 11:18

Currently bidding on an Omlet on EBay. We are first timers but have been reading up and planning for a loooooong time.

Our ex batt girls arrive on the 17th August.

OP posts:
summeryet · 30/07/2019 11:29

We had an omelet for two hens and it worked perfectly. Minimal upkeep other than cleaning (hose down, easy peasy) and easy to move around!

Pennina · 30/07/2019 12:51

Very addictive- I've got 60 !!!

jamoncrumpet · 30/07/2019 12:54

Sounds like the Omlet is a goodun. Let's hope I win that auction!

OP posts:
StayGoGoStay · 30/07/2019 13:00

We got an Eglu for our 3 girls as new keepers and I've loved it as it's so easy to clean and look after. I got mine for a steal from someone local to me, but would have also felt it was worth the cost new as they hold their value so well.

yellowDahlia · 04/08/2019 12:46

Never had a wooden run but we started out with an Eglu Go and recently got a second one to accommodate chicks/broodies. Both second hand and still in great condition, also easy to clean and move about. I'd definitely recommend Smile

MogTheSleepyCat · 04/08/2019 14:39

I've heard that the Eglus are a little over optimistic on the number of birds they say they will hold, especially if you are getting large birds as opposed to bantams.

yellowDahlia · 04/08/2019 18:20

We've kept three large hens in an Eglu go and they were pretty comfy in there, with room for at least one more! Now keeping one large fowl hen, two bantams and a silkie (although the daft silkie prefers to sleep on the roof of the coop! Hmm) And they're definitely not squashed.

I think you're right though Mog in that the standard run that comes with Eglus tends to be on the small side and you would need to free range a lot or extend it to give three big birds more room.

BagpussAteMyHomework · 06/08/2019 23:15

Love my cube. Expensive but plenty of room and easy to keep clean. We have a lot of foxes here and I feel they are secure.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.