Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Chicken coop under Yew tree?

TheWiseOldElf · 29/03/2015 13:07

I'm planning on getting some chickens and the ideal place in my garden for the coop and run is under a Yew tree because that area doesn't get any sun and is fairly bare. I'm concerned about whether Yew needles/berries are toxic to chickens. There seems to be conflicting information on the internet so I wondered whether anyone has any experience? Even if I don't put the coop there they may get access to needles or berries in other parts of the garden anyway.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ninja37 · 02/02/2018 21:45

Hi there wise old elf! Really interested to how your chickens managed under the yew tree with leaves and berries! Are they still alive and well! Are they ok around the yew as we are thinking of getting some and they will live under the yew and forage up there! Have you any tips or personal experience yiu could share! Many thanks nina x

Please
or

RumbleMum · 28/02/2018 21:58

I've had chickens for two years and their foraging area is under a yew tree. They eat the berries voraciously and I've never had any problems. I keep their food in a covered area where needles can't fall in, though.

Please
or

Ninja37 · 05/04/2018 21:37

Hi rumble mum, that's really reassuring to hear! Thank you! is their run underneath too? X

Please
or

RumbleMum · 06/04/2018 23:42

Not exactly underneath it, no, and the run is covered with a tarpaulin. But they do forage underneath it all day. I think making sure nothing falls into the food is maybe the thing ...

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.