Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Poorly chook

CQ · 20/09/2014 23:27

One of my hens is proper poorly Sad

She's been off-colour for days, I finally took her to the vet (I know Hmm) on Thursday, they could find nothing specifically wrong other than she's very very thin. Gave me antibiotics and anti-inflamms and hope that will cover whatever ails her.

She's hardly eating and the others have started being mean to her so I'm having to separate her during the day in a dog crate, and pop her back in the roost at night.

She's regularly wormed, there's no mites, all the others are healthy. I've tried tempting her with her favourite tidbits but after a couple of listless pecks she just gives up again.

I've just been out to check on them tonight and she's on the floor, can't even stay on her perch. I think she might be dead in the morning SadSad

If she does make it through - anyone got any bright ideas what else I could try? I'd have thought after 3 days on meds I should see some improvement by now if there's going to be any. It's awful to see her slowly fade away. Would it be kinder to just let the fox finish her off? I'm afraid I can't pull necks

OP's posts:
Please
or

ChookyChooks · 21/09/2014 00:28

What are the symptoms is there any gasping-sweet smell? What antibiotics has the vet prescribed?

Please
or

CQ · 21/09/2014 08:19

She's on Baytril, and yes, there is a v strange smell about her, slightly sweet. No gasping.

She's v weak this morning, struggling to stand. I feel cruel letting her drag on like this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ChookyChooks · 21/09/2014 17:51

Baytril is no longer approved for chickens, she should be on Tylan, see if your vet will switch, you can syringe liquid into her mouth, letting her swallow-mix the tylan with pre-boiled water and some semolina, so it forms a slightly thick liquid. That will give her food, water and drugs. Hope she makes it!

Poorly chook
Please
or

CQ · 21/09/2014 18:46

She died this afternoon. Sad

I am now anxiously watching the others. They all seem to have dirty nostrils, but it's so dusty at the moment that I thought that was to be expected. Until today. I think I heard one sneeze too.

Thanks for your help chooky - if the others start going downhill at least I know what to try.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ChookyChooks · 21/09/2014 19:57

Course of Tylan for 5 days and then switch to Denaguard-sound like you have Infectious Bronchitis, look out for bubbling in the corner of their eyes. What house are they in?

Please
or

CQ · 22/09/2014 08:57

Thanks. They're in a wooden house. Regularly cleaned out and mite-dusted. Scrubbed and reproofed over the summer.

Will call my vet this am but not sure if they'll prescribe without seeing them, and they are all v lively - no way I can get 5 of them down to the surgery!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.