Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Dead chicken

pigsinmud · 13/05/2014 13:34

Oh dear. Just been out to let the chickens out in to the garden for a bit of a free range. I noticed only 3 were out in the run and the one missing had been in the nesting box at 7am when I opened the coop - she seemed ok then. She's dead in the nesting box. The other 3 have been in and laid eggs next to her.

She's had egg laying problems over the past 5 months - laying very soft shelled eggs. I tried various things to try and boost her up, but nothing worked. She was fine yesterday - eating and prowling round the garden. I need to get her out the nesting box, but am feeling a bit wimpish and don't want to.

OP's posts:
Please
or

hellymelly · 13/05/2014 13:55

Poor you. This hasn't happened to me yet, but I think it is relatively common that chickens can die quite suddenly. Was she an older hen?

Please
or

pigsinmud · 13/05/2014 14:03

She's just 2. I must go and move her - feeling a bit squeamish about picking her up. Dreading telling dd1 as it's her chicken.

OP's posts:
Please
or

hellymelly · 13/05/2014 14:28

Oh dear. That is sad. My dds have each had a chicken die, one had to be pts because she was dying of respiratory problems, the other was taken by a fox. One of my dds was more upset than the other, but they were both sad. We buried the first hen in our garden , and dd put a little vase of flowers there, so perhaps you could have a little burial ceremony if that would help your dd. Very sorry.

Please
or

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch · 13/05/2014 14:32

Aaaaah, I'm very sorry. Next door's cat died of natural causes in our garden a few weeks ago. He was curled up in the corner between our house and the side gate. I hadn't used the side gate for 3 days, so he could well have been there for all that time.

I used gloves and put him in a box as gently as I could.

If your hen was ok yesterday, you will be able to move her. I know it will be upsetting and it isn't a pleasant thing to have to do, but the earlier you move her the better. I'm very sorry.

Please
or

pigsinmud · 13/05/2014 17:27

Dd1 very upset for a few minutes, bit OK now. She doesn't want to get another chicken as it would seem like we were replacing her.

OP's posts:
Please
or

beakerandburette · 14/05/2014 21:40

It's always sad when you lose a hen but happens quite frequently unfortunately :( we've lost a fair few girls to manky foxes and 6 hatchlings last week because the brood bulb blew in the middle of the night.

Very glad your DD wasn't too heart broken.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.