Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

My hen is walking funny

lurkingaround · 01/12/2013 10:15

We have 3 hens for the past year. Delighted with them. But recently one of them has been walking strangely. Her feet are fine. It's as if she's walking with her shoulder forward, and kind of 'backing off' or walking slightly sideways. If she were a human you would think she was backing off from a predator. I don't notice the other 2 hens pecking her or anything. DH said she couldn't find her way out of the henhouse this morning. She is moulting at the moment. We don't know if she's laying. Eating and drinking fine.

What could it be? Should I be worried? Should I do something?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hazelbrowneyes · 04/12/2013 12:50

I have no idea what could be causing that. How is she today? Would it be worth taking her to a vet?

Please
or

lurkingaround · 09/12/2013 22:36

Oh thank you for your reply!
She's pretty much the same. Sometimes she's fine, then other times she has this funny walk. I have wondered if she could be blind in one eye. It really is like she is backing off from a threat. Walks backwards or sideways. They are not aggressive hens. She is eating and drinking fine. Moulting away. Are there any mites or anything that might do it?

I might take her to the vet. I suppose the good thing is she is eating and drinking.

OP's posts:
Please
or

VivaLeBeaver · 09/12/2013 22:49

Your vet may well not have a clue. My vet is scuppered by chicken problems. If she's just had a moult she may need some extra protein.

here

If this doesn't help and your vet isn't sure try ringing the poultry vet at Retford for advise. They always seem happy to talk on the phone.

Please
or

Hazelbrowneyes · 12/12/2013 10:38

I missed the part where you said she was moulting. One of my girls had a really bad moult this year and she was completely different throughout it. She backed off from us, wouldn't play with the other girls and generally was a complete arse. She'd run away if you tried to go near her. She's just come out of the moult (and is now dark brown instead of light brown Grin) and is happy to be touched & fluffed again and she's back playing with the others. She's no longer running away from me either.

It could just be the moult. Make sure she gets some extra protein - I use cod liver oil -teeny, weeny amount in a big bucket of food (too much is bad for them) and poultry spice.

Down the Lane and Omlet have lots of chicken experts on there - it might be worth asking on those forums as well?

I really hope she is ok x

Please
or

lurkingaround · 14/12/2013 18:45

Thanks everyone. Am I supposed to give them extra protein when they're moulting? I didn't know that. Ellen (the walking funny hen) is still around and looking maybe not quite as daft, so maybe it's the moulting. I'll keep an eye.
I buy from Omlet so I'll have a look around their forums.

OP's posts:
Please
or

VivaLeBeaver · 14/12/2013 19:11

I must admit I don't tend to bother but if a hen was looking peaky and moulting I would do.

Please
or

lurkingaround · 15/12/2013 22:27

Thanks, will add in protein.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.