My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

Electric poultry netting

4 replies

cq · 01/10/2013 09:36

Anyone got any experience with this? I set all mine up beautifully yesterday (and at great expense) - and last night DS (14) 'tested' it for me and says it's not working. He's right.

What checks can I do to identify the problem? I think it might be earthed wrong but I just don't understand electrics Confused

OP posts:
quoteunquote · 01/10/2013 13:12

Is anything touching it?

and is your battery charged?

Elliptic5 · 03/10/2013 15:01

Is this working now cq ?
Electric netting is great when it works and a pita when it doesn't. A proper tester is good if you are having problems, it will show exact voltage and help identify where any problem lies.
I have quite a lot of experience of electric poultry netting if you are still having problems.

mummymeister · 03/10/2013 18:49

don't rely on it to keep the foxes out. they are a pain in the neck. most people I know who have tried them have given up on them. when you need them most they aren't working.

SimLondon · 05/10/2013 20:42

A little trick :-) if the netting is touching the grass then its losing it's power and may no longer be powerful enough to 'bite', spray some weedkiller underneath (keep hens off for a while)

Also, after a few days the battery will need to spend several hours recharging.

You can buy testing devices that sit on the netting and indicate how powerful it is.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.