My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

egg eating

5 replies

Shallishanti · 18/01/2013 19:47

any tips?
I found them eating one about 2 wks ago, no eggs since, then today found them doing it again grr
afaik, only 1 in lay
ususally we are out all day so I can't be hovering waiting for her to lay and then whip it away!

OP posts:
TunipTheVegedude · 20/01/2013 19:33

Aren't you supposed to get an empty eggshell and fill it with mustard to put them off?

Shallishanti · 20/01/2013 21:18

yes I have heard this but can't imagine actually doing it- is the egg supposed to look 'whole'? also, I thought birds couldn't taste 'hot' so would it even work?

OP posts:
Paiviaso · 21/01/2013 13:31

I have two chickens, both in lay. A few months ago one started eating the other's eggs. I bought some fake eggs (to make them think pecking eggs was useless), I filled an egg with dijon mustard and all the spices in the spice cupboard but I'm not sure she found this distasteful (and I admit I only bothered doing this once). I started putting their feeder in the house at night so they'd have something to eat in the mornings (besides eggs) before I let them out. The chicken is still happily eating her friend's eggs.

I read that the best recommendation is to the cull the offending bird, and I would probably agree. I am culling mine anyway in a few months as I will be moving, so I'm just putting up with it.

WhatKindofFool · 26/01/2013 21:33

Fake eggs from pets at home worked for me. They are very hard.

bogwoppitinatree · 27/01/2013 11:52

Can you somehow position your nest box so the eggs roll away from the chicken, i.e. have it on a bit of a slant. At work we had two chickens who layed on a system like this for a few months and now no longer egg eat. We tried mustard but it didn't work. You have to blow the eggs first then fill - have heard mixed reviews - I think there is only one type of mustard that works and I'm not sure which one it is :)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.