Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Depluming mite.

Callisto · 11/07/2012 09:55

Does anyone have any experience of this? I've had a look online, but can't find anything definitive.

My barbu d'uccle cockerel has got bald patched on either side of his neck. He hasn't lost feathers anywhere else, and he definitely isn't being pecked (only has 1 female pekin bantam with him and they have the run of my quite large garden). The bald patches have long spikes growing, like the feather has gone apart from the quill. I have treated fairly recently with frontline (cat) and they have been wormed. He has got scaly mite on his legs which I'm treating with vasaline.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Callisto · 11/07/2012 09:55

bald patches, sorry.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 11/07/2012 21:04

He's moulted Smile and those long spikes are the new feathers.

Please
or

bronze · 11/07/2012 21:06

Agree it sounds like he's moulting Smile

Please
or

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 11/07/2012 21:34

Give him a bit of catfood - feathers are protein rich and he could probably do with a bit of extra help. Ivermectin is best for scaley leg - vaseline is not great on it's own. If you don't want to use ivermectin give his legs a scrub with surgical spirit then apply vaseline.
Please
or

bronze · 11/07/2012 21:39

hadn't noticed it was you Blush

Please
or

Callisto · 12/07/2012 19:12

Thanks for the replies, I really don't think he is moulting, the spikey bits are not new quills. They are very thin and long, just like feathers without all of the feathery bit on either side.

Ivermectin is a wormer isn't it? I will try the surgical spirits tip too, thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

VivaLeBeaver · 12/07/2012 19:14

Ivermectin gets rid of mites as well as worms.

Surgical spirit is meant to be quite harsh and painful for the bird.

Please
or

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 12/07/2012 19:34

Really Viva? I have to say that mine have never really exhibited any distress. I've never found it painful to use on myself - a slight sting initially and that's it?

Please
or

VivaLeBeaver · 12/07/2012 20:18

I've never used it but people on practical poultry forum say not to use it, that it's cruel for the birds. I think because their legs are so sore from the mites. It would be like pouring surgical spirit over lots of little cuts.

Please
or

bronze · 12/07/2012 20:51

Quills aren't feathery until they lose the keratin outer

Please
or

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 12/07/2012 20:54

I can see that would be an issue but with scaly leg the mites burrow under the scales so that you get a really thick outer layer of dead scales IYKWIM? I'm not sure that the surgical spirit would even penetrate though that to the "live" scales underneath. Anyway prevention is always better than cure Smile so ivermectin all the way...

Anyway if he hasn't moulted sometimes they do peck at the neck feather for extra protein - try feeding catfood.

Please
or

Callisto · 15/07/2012 09:40

The ivermectin would be administered orally?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 15/07/2012 10:09

No, you put it on the back between the wings.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.