Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Looking to rehome a single 6 week Buff Orpington - London area

milktwosugars · 01/06/2012 16:50

Hello Chicken Keepers

Due to a change in circumstances, I have a lovely, chatty little Buff who is looking for a new home. Currently based in North London.

Any takers?

OP's posts:
Please
or

peggyblackett · 01/06/2012 19:15

I wish you were nearer as I'd take her (assuming its a hen?!).

Good luck, and bumping for you.

Please
or

milktwosugars · 02/06/2012 10:18

Thanks Peggy.

Being a complete novice I don't know whether 'it' (known in this household as "Henny") is a 'he' or a 'she'!Blush

Basically "Henny" comes from a primary school hatching project. A home had been lined up for any offspring but (rather long story) this is now not an option.

I would love to keep "Henny" (my daughters even more so!) but we don't really have the space and, as chickens are group animals, "Henny" would need some company (am I right in thinking this?)

Any offers or suggestions of a good home gratefully received.

OP's posts:
Please
or

peggyblackett · 02/06/2012 11:14

If you don't find a home, and once you get confident on the sexing, let me know. There may be a home for him here, if I could persuade my db to allow her to hitch a ride from North London in his Z4 :o. I couldn't take a cockerel though, our neighbours complained about ours and we had to regime him. Ridiculous as we live in the middle of nowhere.

Please
or

Lizzabadger · 03/06/2012 20:30

He/she does need company and really needs a friend the same age (older hens are likely to bully or even kill him or her). Could you post a picture here or on the Omlet forum? Someone knowledgable may be able to sex him/her for you. A local breeder or city farm might take it in.

Please
or

Lizzabadger · 03/06/2012 20:32

A chicken rescue place might also help or you might get a taker via a local vet's surgery.

It is irresponsible of schools to engage in hatching experiments without a plan in place for the chicks

Please
or

Lizzabadger · 03/06/2012 20:33

Oh OK - I see there was a plan.

Please
or

milktwosugars · 04/06/2012 23:39

Thanks for the suggestions Lizza.

I will get on the case.

OP's posts:
Please
or

boomting · 05/06/2012 01:02

If it turns out to be a girl, then you shouldn't have too many problems rehoming it, so I'm writing the rest of this post on the assumption that it's a cockerel.

City farms are unlikely to take it. I used to be involved with one, and every so often cockerels would be dumped over the fence overnight. They were always quickly dispatched, as we had no use for them.

Unfortunately, unless the city farm already has some buff orps then they are unlikely to want it - not only have they got to go through the faff of introducing them, but they will be concerned about biosecurity (although obviously this is less of a problem given that it has been kept alone). Plus, this is hardly likely to be breeding quality, given where it has come from.

Whatever you do, if it does turn out to be a cockerel then don't put it in the local newspaper as 'free to a good home'. Gypsies & travellers pick up such cockerels, invariably tame and gentle, to be used (i.e. killed) for training their young fighting cocks.

Unfortunately, if it does turn out to be male, and you can't keep it yourself with the addition of a few lady friends, then the kindest thing to do may be to put it down.

Please
or

Pickgo · 05/06/2012 01:32

you really don't need loads of space OP.

You would need 2 more hens to keep Henny company (you can even get the smaller type called bantams which are the size of a large pigeon.

For 3 hens you'd need about 4 square meters run plus small coop - which can be as simple as a box knocked up from old pallets with a perch and smaller wooden box attached for a nest box.

IME kids really love chicken keeping and think of the free eggs!

They are very easy to keep generally and all chicken keepers I know work full time.

I think you and Henny are fated to be together. Grin

If you are tempted, this site is really good for advice.
poultry.allotment.org.uk/advice/keeping-chickens-at-home

Please
or

peggyblackett · 05/06/2012 08:18

Dont put an Orpie with bantams - benign as Orpies are they are likely to not get on. You could mix an Orpie with some feisty hybrids though :). My Orpie and Orpie x are the most terrible bullies.

I think you should keep her too (fingers crossed that Henny is a she).

Please
or

milktwosugars · 06/06/2012 20:55

Many thanks for eveyone's help. Henny has had an offer of a good home. Hurrah!

But I think I've got the chicken bug.... DH and I are now seriously considering buying a hen house Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.