My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

"impulse" silkies buy?

12 replies

mybabyweightiseightyearsold · 18/04/2012 10:27

I've been dribbling over chickens for two years. Have read and researched, not any experience, but hubbie was raised with chooks.

Middley kid has chronic asthma and is desperate for a pet. Anything furry and in the house is out.

Silkie chooks are friendly, small, not as scratchy as other types and broody. Not great at laying. cute as a button.

There are three silkie hens for sale on gumtree...

Blokie has said "get hens if you want" though, he's underwhelmed at the prospect, having many memories of slipping on chook poop and being attacked by cockerels as a kid.

Seller says she's got a rat problem needing sorted, thus reason for sale.

Silkies are hard to come by where we are.

Chooks are laying, been broody, three different colours. I have three kids...

Anyone with experience of buying "second hand" chickens - or of silkies as pets?

OP posts:
MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 19/04/2012 17:22

I breed and show exhibition silkies. They are friendly and docile, don't fly and IME aren't as scratchy. They go broody occasionally but I don't think they're worse than any other breed. You hear people say that they shouldn't get wet but that's nonsense. They need to be treated for mites and worms the same as any other breed.

mybabyweightiseightyearsold · 19/04/2012 18:01

That's really good to hear, Miss!

Those chooks were re-homed, if you're not fast, you're last.

Don't suppose you are in Scotland or the north of England? Or know someone who is?

I'm looking at getting one of these:

www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/pet-and-equestian-products/hen-coop-mini

but, they aren't double walled and insulated like eglus are. I want plastic, it's light so we can shift the coop and run around the garden - but would you think that single wall plastic is warm enough for the winters for wee silkies?

I am pathetically addicted to watching images of silkies on youtube. Pathetic.

OP posts:
MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 19/04/2012 18:33

That coop looks fine. They are hardy little birds - their fluff is very insulating. Silkies don't like to perch, they cuddle together in a pile on the floor. I'm in Norfolk Smile but looking in the silkie yearbook there are members who sell birds in Argyll and Lanarkshire. I'll PM you the details if you're interested.

The Silkie Club have a forum for advertising birds and eggs which might be of help

VivaLeBeaver · 19/04/2012 18:49

I had a silkie, don't think it ever laid an egg in it's life. It died after a couple of years, might have been mareks which I think they're all prone to. It was on it's side on the floor, unable to move with it's neck twisted round funny.

A friend used to have lots of them and they can fly. His used to roost in the trees in his garden.

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 19/04/2012 19:01

Viva - pure bred silkes can't fly because under the standard they can't have any hard feathers in their wings Smile, just as well because mine don't like heights Grin although occassionally they jump and wing flap if feeling frisky.

VivaLeBeaver · 19/04/2012 20:39

Thinking about it you're right, the one I had her feathers wouldn't have been hard enough for flying. He must have been pulling my leg.....I saw photos of them and they looked like purebreds. Tey weren't in the trees in the pics though!

mybabyweightiseightyearsold · 20/04/2012 06:09

oooh, yes, please, Miss!

Squee!

OP posts:
notasausage · 20/04/2012 20:37

I am in Scotland and just got one of these

I looked at the Solway ones too but liked the Green Frog one for its legs. No chooks yet but the blurb claims it is warm enough. We shall see!

mybabyweightiseightyearsold · 22/04/2012 15:41

Sausage, I liked them too - rats won't nest under that! But, I need an enclosed run, am kind of thinking of trying to make an ark that would fit over the coop...wire base, wooden frame?

Do you have a run?

Got thoughts on the chickens you'll get?

OP posts:
notasausage · 30/04/2012 19:20

We have a pen that came with the house it's not fox proof so will need to be careful about locking them up at night. You can get a run to fit some of the green frog houses

www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk/chicken-run/

It has proved really difficult to source hens in this area but I did manage to go and get 4 yesterday (a 3 hour round trip). I am now the proud owner of a white leghorn, a black rock, a Maran and a new Hampshire red. The leghorn is the only one I've seen venture from the house so far so it must be ok!!

mybabyweightiseightyearsold · 01/05/2012 00:52

Oooh, exciting!

Hope you are inundated with eggs and clucking.

Am green, green I tell you!

OP posts:
notasausage · 01/05/2012 19:08

3 eggs since we brought the hens home 48 hours ago - I am dead chuffed! They are starting to explore the pen a little now but staying close to the house.

Just take the plunge babyweight - I stressed for ages about the right house, how to feed them, what hens to get etc. hope you get your silkies soon.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.