My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

Cochin or brahma?

7 replies

VivaLeBeaver · 02/03/2012 20:21

going to look at some chickens tomorrow? Bloke says he's got every breed going. I've already got 4 hybrids and a Sussex but fancy going back to pure breeds again.

I'd like a cream legbar if he's got one and either a blue laced Wyandotte or a speckled Sussex. Dd wants a chicken with fluffy feet, so brahma or Cochin if he has both. He definetly has Cochins.

OP posts:
Chirpychick2010 · 02/03/2012 23:17

I like the brahma ! But it's up to you there is no clear winner it's just what appeals to you but one thing is have you a solid floor? as soft ground tends to make mess of feet, especially feathered feet in the mud. I have black rock, Sussex and golden ???. Baby brain lol didn't know there was a chat thing for chicken keepers lool Blush

VivaLeBeaver · 03/03/2012 08:06

No solid floor, it does tend to get muddy in bad weather but we stick lots of chippings down so it's not too bad.

OP posts:
VivaLeBeaver · 03/03/2012 08:07

I might get round to sticking some slabs down this summer, thought about it before and never bothered.

OP posts:
VivaLeBeaver · 03/03/2012 11:26

We got a partridge brahma, a favorelle and something the bloke said was a RIR but I'm not convinced - it looks more like a hybrid to me. Its a bit of a gingery red rather than a dark red and doesn't have yellow legs, its only about 9 weeks old though so may change.

OP posts:
peggyblackett · 03/03/2012 11:27

I have 3 dark brahmas and one golden - love them. Good choice :).

VivaLeBeaver · 03/03/2012 11:42

Do you get many eggs from them? Wasn't sure what their egg production is like?

OP posts:
peggyblackett · 04/03/2012 04:03

It's fair to middling. Probably about 3-4 a week. Their main job is to look priddy though, which they do :).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.