My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

Can I turn an old doghouse into a hen house?

4 replies

Tolalola · 01/02/2012 17:37

A few weeks ago I found 3 days-old orphaned chicks (I live outside the UK where there are lots of feral chickens). One died, but the other two are growing very fast, and really need to move out of the guinea pig cage and into the garden!

I've never had chickens before, but I have an old dog house in the garden (unused for 6 months+), and I was wondering what I would need to do to turn it into a hen house.

Should I elevate it on posts, or leave it on the ground? How much run space will 2 chickens need? They seem to like perching, so I'll definitely add a perch, and, I guess a nest box?

I have put some pics of the dog house on my profile in case anyone has any bright ideas!

OP posts:
cobwebthegrey · 01/02/2012 18:24

Copied this from a website, but will give you an idea as to size needed...

What size of hut do I really need!?
Hut Suppliers as opposed to those who keep poultry tend to rate their huts generously in terms of capacity.
For Sleeping only we recommend a minimum of 1.0 cubic feet per bird or split level perches
For covered run and occasional garden access 3 square feet per bird
Figures for large foul = 1.5 Bantams (2 Large Foul = 3 Bantams)

www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Poultry/Start_Keeping_Chickens/chicken_coop_check.php this is also v helpful!

Tolalola · 01/02/2012 20:02

Thank you very much cobweb - off to check that link out now.

Love your name, btw.

OP posts:
cobwebthegrey · 01/02/2012 21:13

No problem, I'm new to it all myself so you caught me at the obsessive stage! just checked out your profile, looks like you'll have no problem converting that! those chcks are sooo cute! do you know what they are??

Tolalola · 01/02/2012 22:50

No idea what they are yet. The two brown ones are the remaining two and they are known as Big Harry and Little Harry thanks to 4yo DS. They're very sweet though and incredibly friendly. I'm really hoping they're hens!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.