My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

what to do with your chickens while you are on holiday

7 replies

triedandfailed · 15/01/2012 20:40

Can I ask what people do with their chickens while they are away for the weekend or on holiday?

OP posts:
duchesse · 15/01/2012 23:11

Ask your neighbours to come in and look after them! People love looking after hens as they get the eggs- pets that pay you in kind.

NannyPlumIsMyMum · 15/01/2012 23:13

We belong a skills exchange and get somebody in to look after them .

Grockle · 15/01/2012 23:15

Family who live round the corner or neighbours - people seem happy to do it in exchange for eggs & I always bring flowers/ wine/ local gift when I return.

Dee03 · 15/01/2012 23:19

I'm going away this year for a long weekend with the dc for the 1st time since having my hens so I've asked my mum to come down and stay, she only lives up the road and I also have 2 dogs and cats do it seemed the easiest option......god knows what I would've done if she'd said no tho Grin

hiddenhome · 16/01/2012 20:43

We have pet sitters who come in twice a day to let out and feed/clean, then lock up in the evening. They also look after the cats, fish and now the snake Smile

Grockle · 16/01/2012 22:03

How do you find pet sitters, hiddenhome?

hiddenhome · 16/01/2012 22:42

I just did a search online and found some really nice people. Husband and wife who go all over the area. They're not expensive and do a really good job.

The neighbour did look after them once, but didn't do it properly, so I figured I'd rather pay someone.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.