My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

Can you keep hens with guinea pigs and a rabbit?

10 replies

Astrophe · 29/09/2011 09:13

The guinea pigs and bunny would have their own cage, inaccesible to the hens.

Anyone got a set up like that?
TIA

OP posts:
arfur · 01/10/2011 20:24

Do you mean in the same run? Or just in the same garden? We have guinea pigs and recently got chooks. The pigs were in their run on the lawn today and the chooks had a look at them everyone was panicky for a minute then everyone went back to eating! So no problems for ours - HTH!

Secondaryglazedover · 01/10/2011 20:28

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

babycham42 · 02/10/2011 12:49

No problem here.Just make sure any roof on any run will take the weight of chooks on top.

mummymeister · 02/10/2011 23:09

Wouldnt suggest keeping them altogether. chickens way of finding out about something is to peck it and they would do this to the GP. Agree that bunny and GP's shouldnt be put together unless they have been since birth. GP's need vitamin c every day and therefore their food is different to rabbit food. chickens will sit on the top of a run and will poo on it which sticks to rabbit and gp fur (found this out the hard way) make sure part of the run is sheltered so they can escape from it. we have a little plastic hut for ours (like a toddlers toilet step with a hole in it) they go in here to escape when chickens are too curious. if you havent had chickens before be prepared for how much they did up the ground making it not v pleasant for GP and rabbits. they also can have salmonella in their poo and this can again affect the gp's and rabbits. personally unless you have a huge garden and can keep the three separate i wouldnt do it.

babycham42 · 02/10/2011 23:17

Can see mummymeisters point. I assumed that the guinea pigs would be separate from bunny anyway.
In my set up the run was roofed with mesh and part solid roofed with a hutch in there also to retreat to if wanted so there could be no actual contact so any pecking problem did not arise.

LauraIngallsWilder · 02/10/2011 23:22

Please don't put a bunny with gp's. if the rabbit chooses to kick with uts back legs you will have a guinea pig with a broken jaw or worse.
The size difference should give you a clue as well.

greatdanelady · 06/12/2011 22:28

Do not put the gp in with chickens. You will end up with bullied gps and a bad case of bald guineas caked in mites. My friend kept her gps in with her chooks and we have just rescued them. She said they were happy with the situation but stay in the hutch hiding and when we got them we had to treat them for mange mite and worms.

debsl75 · 30/01/2012 18:31

Hi a definate no no. Please don't keep them all together. They are all different types of animals and all require different types of food and care. I have all three myself and they are kept totally seperate. Chooks have chook friends, rabbits are kept in pairs and gp's are the same. They really should have their own parts of the garden. Chickens can pass coccidiosis to rabbits. Look it up and it will let you know what coccidiosis can do to the animals!!!

TBF1 · 16/02/2012 13:01

We have all three but they are housed separately and whilst they seem to like a wander around our fairly large garden together, I wouldn't leave them together unattended for a moment. Even our little Pekins bantams can be bossy little madams, let alone a full sized hen, and have attempted to peck at the little furries. Needless to say the GP/bunnies have trotted/hopped off a bit sharpish and with over 100 feet of garden to explore there were no real problems, but in an enclosed run with nothing else for the hens to do all day... hmm

Plus there are the health/food issues as outlined above, so all in all, a no-no for me but I'm sure there are plenty of people who do.

Thumbwitch · 16/02/2012 13:06

Good good, everyone's already said what I was going to. Don't do it, for all the reasons mentioned so far.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.