My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

help me save my chickens!!

15 replies

lovethegarden · 09/05/2011 21:32

i live in a ha house they have called me today to say that i can no longer keep my chickens(4 ex battery hens) as i did not ask permission and it is against their policy as they do not allow tennants to have farm animals in a built up area ( i live on the edge of small estate in eastbourne, fairly large garden).these chucks have been named by my daughter she loves them!!!as we all do .and they are pets .any advice would be grateful as we are all distraught.no neighbours have complained about them and they are very quiet.we are surrounded by swarking seagulls so in comparision they are silent

OP posts:
ilovemyhens · 09/05/2011 23:35

I'm not sure about the law surrounding this area, but some places don't permit poultry or livestock to inhabit the place.

I phoned my LA when I was planning on getting some hens and they told me that there would be no problems as long as I didn't overstock or keep a cockerel.

Your problem is going to be the HA, because they call the shots Sad

Chickens aren't classed as farm animals and the avian flu concerns are just stupid.

Why not phone DEFRA to see if they have any advice? I'm not sure who else you could talk to clarify the legal position. If you refused to get rid of them the HA could threaten eviction I suppose, but you could still put up a good fight before it came to that.

chickchickchicken · 09/05/2011 23:41

would you be able to name the HA? i have never heard of this before as chickens arent classed as farm animals. does your tenancy agreement specifically mention rules on pets that are kept outside?

lovethegarden · 09/05/2011 23:51

its amicus horizon their pet policy is on their website i would put on here but dont know how &no it does specify outside pets just farm animals e.g goats pigs,sheep,chickens & ducks & various other dangerous animals

OP posts:
lovethegarden · 09/05/2011 23:55

thanks for the support its given me some hope i am just hoping & praying common sense will prevail.there must be better more important issues they could be dealing with??????

OP posts:
chickchickchicken · 10/05/2011 13:07

will check their website later when i have more time and post again

ilovemyhens · 10/05/2011 13:37

Their pet policy states that you have to have an agreement between yourselves and the housing officer as to what pet you can keep. I think that you should have asked permission before you got them tbh Sad

Do you know any other tenants who keep pets, but didn't ask for permission? If you do, then this might strengthen your case as they won't be able to tell everyone to get rid of their pets, there'd be an outcry.

Other than that, you can either try appealing to their better nature and use emotional blackmail Wink "pity the poor children" type thing, or fight them and risk being ignored at best, or eviction at worst.

If all else fails go to the press and they'll come around to your house and take pics of the said chickens with your children and that might apply a bit of pressure to the housing officer because no one wants to upset children.

Provide some downloaded information about keeping chickens to demonstrate that you know all about it and keep the place as clean as a new pin to show that you're not risking anyone's health and safety.

lovethegarden · 10/05/2011 22:13

thankyou, i think your absolutely right! i am writing a letter this evening to ask permission to keep them pleading to their better nature however if this fails which presume it will then i may have to go down the root you suggested.incidently i called defra today no avian flu in this country, so that reason has gone at least i have been busy today cleaning out their shed it looks spotless !! and the chucks promptly ran round my feet rearranging everything!! bless they have no idea??but we do love them!!

OP posts:
ilovemyhens · 11/05/2011 13:42

Good Luck xxx

Grockle · 12/05/2011 20:54

Oh no Sad

Good luck

lovethegarden · 14/05/2011 14:04

thanlyou everyone i'll keep you updated

OP posts:
nickelbabe · 14/05/2011 14:10

you need to contact DEFRA - the allotments act states that you can keep chickens in your back garden even if the tenancy agreement says you can't.

here it is

the word notwithstanding means "even if it says you can't"

nickelbabe · 14/05/2011 14:14

(basically, you need to do something to prove that you can't - eg treat your animals badly, or let them out onto common ground, or let them pester other people)

for the purpose of the act, allotment does include back gardens

nickelbabe · 14/05/2011 14:24

there's more here about amicus's pet policy

but remember, the allotment act supercedes this.

get onto the CAB as well to ask for help.

nickelbabe · 16/05/2011 14:20
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.