My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

too much research into houses, now i'm all of a muddle

12 replies

Charliepw · 07/02/2011 23:23

I want chickens, and i've finally persuaded DH.
I would prob want 3 chickens (though the room to expand might be good), as there are four of us in the family, but DH doesn't really eat eggs.

i like the really basic eglu (the new one) but, they are a bit pricey really, but, perhaps they are worth it.

and i kind of like the wooden ones with a raised box and a surrounding run around them, like these ones
www.pandtpoultry.co.uk/product/categoryid/10/productid/1606
though i'd prob get on ebay, cos they seem cheaper

(i would make an extra outer run for them as well, as our garden is more like a field and i think we'd loose them if they were completely free range)

if i was to go for a wooden one, does anyone have any advice on which company, which style etc...
the array is mind boggling.

any things to avoid?

any info very much appreciated.

OP posts:
K1t · 08/02/2011 22:45

I read that red mites are more difficult to eradicate in wooden housing. You will still get the mites in eglus and cubes but you can jet wash them and treat easier.

I know you wanted advice on which company but thought I share my penny's worth.

Charliepw · 10/02/2011 14:29

thanks Kit,
do you have chickens then?
what housing have you gone for?

OP posts:
tilf · 10/02/2011 16:24

Hi, i agree with K1t about the red mites, I have an Eglu & extended run with 3 chooks, it is fab, really easy to look after, fox proof and lasts a lifetime. We are a famiy of 5 & get aprox 16 to 18 eggs a week!! Grin

nickelbabe · 10/02/2011 17:09

the one I have just ordered is:

from here

i ordered the William Standard coop with the William Super run for 4 hens.

the run is a little on the small side, but it's okay from Defra's POV, and they will ahve the garden to run in.
(the garden's a bit small to fit in a bigger run)

nickelbabe · 10/02/2011 17:11

WRT to red mites- my previous house was wodden and never had any problems.

Every couple of months, douse the chooks at bedtiem with Red Mite Powder (available from most farm/pet supply shops).
make sure it's on the day that you've disinfected the coop and throw some over the inside of the house too.

Disinfect the coop by using jeyes fluid, and clean into the cracks with a stiff brush. then rinse thoroughly. (hosepipe is good)

ChickensHaveNoEyebrows · 10/02/2011 17:15

Really, you just choose what suits you. Hens are generally happy in anything as long as it's draught free, dry and predator proof. I have a wooden house, and have never had red mite. Prevention is better than cure, so lots of mite powder and a yearly coat of creosote has helped. That said, the omlet housing holds it's value well. It just wasn't what I wanted.

nickelbabe · 10/02/2011 17:24

don't forget, though that your hens need 1-2 sqm of run EACH.

that means, ideally, 4 hens would have 8 square meters of run

ChickensHaveNoEyebrows · 10/02/2011 20:27

Or the entire garden to re-landscape, eh nickel?

nickelbabe · 11/02/2011 11:03

Grin

andthey don't touch the weeds - only the grass and the vegetables. [grrrrr]

Charliepw · 07/03/2011 09:59

I love those chicken houses, that you both linked to.
They do seem expensive though.

I really like The Dingle.
www.smithssectionalbuildings.co.uk/go/products/small-poultry-houses/chicken-ark/

OP posts:
Charliepw · 07/03/2011 12:16

In the end due to cost, i bought this one
Ebay Chicken House, though i would have loved that Dingle one (linked above)

once it arrives and is erected, i'll have to sort out where to get my little old chickens from.

it's really quite exciting.

OP posts:
Elliptic5 · 08/03/2011 15:28

Eglu aren't the only company who sell plastic housing, try www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk/ or www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/farmers-and-smallholders/eco-poultry-houses.
All good, depending on your budget and requirements.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.