Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

How much time to do spend with your chickens?

slipperandpjsmum · 23/01/2011 20:29

I was wondering how much time people feels it takes to look after chickens, taking everything into account. Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

brambleschooks · 23/01/2011 20:39

It depends if y mean th clean out, which is half an hour a week at most,or the general staring at, admiring and playing with, which could go on for ages!

Please
or

slipperandpjsmum · 23/01/2011 20:50

The general care. Admiring and playing with not included :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

frozenfestiveflo · 23/01/2011 21:21

I'd say no more than 10 minutes a day doing actual care plus the weekly clean but oh so many hours just watching

Please
or

wyorksmum · 23/01/2011 22:29

30 min clean and move hen house on a sat/sun. Then 5 m a day to put clean water and check food. Also need door opening every morning and closing at night. Could become a chore but kids love doing it. Also kids love letting them out and having two crazy hens flying/running behind them all over the garden. It's very satisfying. Would say it's best pet we've ever had. Very low maintenance really.

Please
or

Guitargirl · 23/01/2011 22:31

What a lovely thread, this has cheered me up! Smile

Please
or

brambleschooks · 23/01/2011 22:49

I didn't add cuddling of and giggling at.

My Sheila escapes the run and stares at me through the back door wanting food. She's the chicken equivalent of a wire-haired terrier. I totally heart her.

Please
or

ChickensFlyingUnderTheRadar · 23/01/2011 22:52

I spend probably 10-20 mins a day on basic care, and then a half hour at the weekend to do health checks/main clean out. Hours and hours observing, though.

Please
or

Punkatheart · 24/01/2011 08:08

I clean out every day - although I know that people don't always. So about 15/20 minutes. The chickens probably could look after themselves but I spend a bit of time in the garden watching them dustbathe, hearing them chirrup/purr/bok-bok. Then there is the cuddling I want for my own gratification - then the finding of worms when we are gardening together...not to mention the show how cute my chickens are to friends...

What was the question again?

Please
or

wyorksmum · 24/01/2011 08:28

I know. Ours love to have a dust bath in the dry soil under the hedge and forrage for worms. Nothing better to lift the spirits than watching them argue over a juicy worm or slug! Never leave them unattended when out of run ( well there was one occasion when I forgot about them for an hour - I was having 1-1 time with my 4 yr old and playing a game!) when I finally leapt off the settee they were walking back down the road towards the house and ran to greet me!

Please
or

ilovemyhens · 24/01/2011 14:08

About 15 minutes a day for feeding and general cleanliness.

Perhaps about another 15 minutes chasing them around, being chased by them, removing them from the kitchen/hall, sneaking past them to get to my car, talking to them and worrying about them Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.