Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Urban chickens - to free range or not? And what about cats?

Grockle · 21/01/2011 20:23

I've had my 3 girls for about 5 months. They live in an Eglu. When I am home, they free range in the garden and are really happy. I check on them from time to time as we have a family of foxes nearby although there has been no evidence of them in the garden. There is also a massive cat that stalks them and seems a bit too confident and it worries me so when I go to work, I leave them shut in the run but they are beginning to hate it - they squawk and fuss and complain, even if they have plenty of grass, grit, corn, scraps etc. I want to let them out and leave them to free range all day but would they be safe in the garden for 8 hours with no supervision?

What do other people do?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lizzabadger · 21/01/2011 21:07

I don't think they'd be safe. I'd carry on as you are, tbh.

Please
or

MissBeehiving · 21/01/2011 21:31

I have three cats and about 20 free range hens atm. My cat (one large ginger one) has attacked a small pullet when it escaped from the run but he doesn't touch them once they're bigger. I don't know if that's any help?

Please
or

ilovemyhens · 21/01/2011 22:05

Couldn't you build them a larger run which is secure? I would't leave them for 8 hours unaccompanied with foxes nearby.

Please
or

ChickensFlyingUnderTheRadar · 21/01/2011 22:10

I wouldn't leave them free ranging if you're not there tbh. Some do, but you have to accept that you are taking a risk. I keep pekins, so no way would i leave mine out.

Please
or

Grockle · 21/01/2011 22:34

I'll carry on as I am then. I was happy with it til my neighbour commented that the birds seemed unhappy (they are not - they continue to lay 2 or 3 eggs a day so must be ok). I shall carry on as I am and let them out when I am home.

I am curious to know what the hens'd do if the cat went for them - the cat is huge but the chooks are feisty and I'd like to think they'd give a good fight. They usually seem to just cluck loudly and look around til I come to the rescue.

Thanks for reassuring me. I suddenly felt guilty for leaving my lovely girls locked up

OP's posts:
Please
or

Grockle · 21/01/2011 22:38

Larger run in the pipeline but realistically, is not going to happen this year.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.