Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Thinking about chickens, what do i need to know??

lisad123isgoingcrazy · 05/11/2010 13:29

Have never kept chickens but am considering it. We have 2 cats and a dog, does this mean a no no to chickens?
What size hen house? how many to start with? what food? loads more im sure

OP's posts:
Please
or

knat · 05/11/2010 14:12

hi lisa - we have 2 dogs and a catg (although cat is an indoor cat) and we have 9 chickens now. So no problem there. We started with 3 and a hen house that supposed to fit 8 or 9 with two attached runs. We now have an area sectioned off at the end of the garden with the henhouse in and they just roam around there. A converted shed is also a good way of providing the house for them and i would probably do this next time as i think its easier for cleaning etc. Food is easy to get hold of from farm shops etc they have layers pellets and corn. We give layers pellets which left out all day in a feeder and in the afternoon give them scraps and/or corn scattered around for them. There's loads of info out there but it really is worthwhile. My dd has aspergers (please forgive me if im wrong but i thought yours did too?) and i've found it great for her. She loves the chickens and we've even been able to hatch 2 chicks and keep them which was great for her. Hope that helps.

Please
or

sethstarkaddersmum · 05/11/2010 14:16

The Omlet website is really helpful even if you don't want to buy one of their wonderful but expensive henhouses. Lots of info on the 'club' section of the site too.

Please
or

lisad123isgoingcrazy · 05/11/2010 14:36

Yes your right DD1 has HFA and DD2 is being assessed :)
thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

OhWesternWind · 08/11/2010 07:39

We have four cats and the cats and hens just go their own separate ways. With regards to the dog, you will know your own dog and if he/she is the sort that will be okay round hens. Some dogs are fine, but we have had a horrible experience with next door's dogs which killed one of our ladies. But I know a hen friend who has a dog and a puppy both of which are absolutely no problem.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.