My feed

to access all these features

Caring for elderly relatives? Supercarers can help


Social services financial assessment

0 replies

Peter888 · 20/11/2023 08:58

Apologies for the length of this question. My wife had a stroke several years ago and now has dementia. I am her carer. I have both a property and finance and health and welfare lasting power of attorney for her. I am the sole attorney. In 2021 she had savings of about £100,000 in her name. That year I converted that single account into a joint account for both of us. She also owns a third of the house she lived in with her ex-husband. Her ex has lived in the house for over forty years. Her, her husband and daughter own the house as joint tenants. There's no mortgage. The house is probably worth around £500,000. Thinking of the future my wife may need to go into permanent care. My question is how will her share of the ex's house be treated if/when she is financially assessed by social services. She definitely wouldn't want to force her ex out of the house. On the other hand, I would prefer to initially pay care fees from the equity in the ex's house rather than though our joint savings. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.