Please
or
to access all these features

Caring for elderly relatives? Supercarers can help

Carers

Am I being a coward- handing in notice on probation

1 reply

Happyfeet82 · 23/11/2022 21:03

So I graduated from uni and recently started a new job. I knew within the first week it wasn’t for me but stuck it out anyway. Last week I got a job offer for my dream role and I am due to start in January.

I have been working up the courage to hand my notice in, however I feel awful.. I know it’s not a big deal but I work alongside my line manager in a small company, it is just him and I every day in the office and I know he is going to take it personally, I am dreading telling him.

the job itself was OK but my manager is so intense he would email me work at 6am on Saturday mornings, he would also be up late on his laptop at 12am. I just know the job is not for me and it is taking a toll on me mentally.

i spoke to HR today and actually broke down in tears to the lady as I explained how anxious I have been to tell him (I know, dramatic right) she was lovely and told me to have a chat with him Friday. I am still in my probationary period (3 months) and coming to the end, I assumed my notice would be 1 week in probation but she told me it is 4 weeks… my stomach dropped when she told me. I can’t face doing another 4 weeks as I feel things will turn hostile once I tell my Manager I’m handing my notice in, is it wrong to request 1 week as opposed to 4? I just want to get out now.

am I being a coward? And would there be repercussions if I do 1 weeks notice, instead of the whole month? Thank you for reading and any advice would be great as I am feeling super anxious

OP posts:
PritiPatelsMaker · 28/11/2022 22:31

I think the reason that you haven't had any responses as you've posted in the Carer's Section @Happyfeet82

How are things at work now? Have you handed in your notice yet?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.