Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Confused about car seat regulations? Read our reviews of baby car seats, toddler car seats and booster seats to find out which ones are worth investing in.

Joie Tilt or ??? (occasional travel seat for 15mo)

elfran · 18/05/2022 17:08

Hoping someone can help!

DH and I are Londoners and don't own a car, so use our seat for taxis, the occasional Zipcar rental within London, holidays abroad, and in rental cars in the UK when going out of town. Maybe once a month we need it, some months not even.

Our 15 mo has outgrown the MaxiCosi Cabriofix we had as part of her travel system. She is only 10kg so still within the weight range, but I'm pretty sure she's too tall for it - she certainly seemed uncomfortable in it last use (though she may just hate the car in general).

We do plan to buy a car eventually (in fact, we thought this was the year but the rises in fuel costs have us happy to delay for awhile longer) - when this happens, we'll likely upgrade. In the meantime, I'd like to get something that will work for the next couple years (so group 1 or 0+1, I imagine we'll have a car by the time she's 4).

Priority one is that it's rear-facing for as long as possible, followed by being as light as possible, followed by price. Obviously needs to be non-Isofix as well.

My research initially led me to the Joie Tilt, but can anybody think of anything better suited to us?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BertieBotts · 18/05/2022 17:11

Joie Steadi is worth getting over the Tilt, as it has a built in headrest so it lasts quite a bit longer for height. The Tilt is quite a short seat.

Please
or

Caspianberg · 18/05/2022 17:15

We have the graco extend which I think is the joie tilt just different name. We also bought for travel with then 15 month old as ours is isofix large base at home.

whilst we have used it now for three flights and travel, it’s ok, not great. It doesn’t feel very secure belted in compared to our rear facing maxi cosi mica isofix. maybe that’s just because it’s belted and not isofix?

Also it’s ok for in the car, throw in travel bag and checked in for flight, and straight back in hire car the other end. But it’s fairly large and heavy still to carry if you have to use public transport. So I think for the price and safety rating it’s ok for zip car/ hire car abroad, but awkward in taxi unless your literally going door to door. In London recently we didn’t bring the car seat ( we are overseas) and I just used pram backwards in black cabs. Back home he’s rear facing still at 2 years, but it wasn’t feasible to carry on public transport and around town alone

ds was probably 10kg also at 15 months, as he’s just about 12kg now at 2 years

Please
or

elfran · 18/05/2022 18:00

Thank you both.

@BertieBotts I've looked at the Steadi and seems it's a bit bulkier and heavier, not a huge problem as it'll normally be DH dealing with it, but worth considering as I'm pretty sure DD has a long torso.

@Caspianberg I said taxis but really, the only time I can remember us using our first seat in them is on the way to/from airports! I almost never use taxis in and around London (certainly not with my baby, maybe coming home after a night out, if I ever get to do that again! 😆).

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.