Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Confused about car seat regulations? Read our reviews of baby car seats, toddler car seats and booster seats to find out which ones are worth investing in.

FF with a heavy 3 year old

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee · 11/05/2022 20:29

So my 3yr 8 month old is approx 20kg, we've had him FF in his britax multi-tech III for a few months, and have just realised, I think anyway, that the 5 point harness is only safe up to 18kg.

But its not safe to have him FF using the car 3 point seatbelt till he's 4, If we've understood the guidance correctly.

Where does that leave us? Obvs we could go back to rear facing, but he's going to hate that, plus we've moved house and aren't sure where the tether straps are for the seat.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thank you!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

OhRiRi · 11/05/2022 20:31

Rear facing up to 25kg. It's far safer, especially considering he's not mature enough behaviourally to sit sensibly with a 3 point seat belt, and also not mature enough physically for it to be safe.

Please
or

maryberryslayers · 12/05/2022 08:20

That leaves you the option of rear facing until 25kg. So what if he hates it, it's safer for him. You can easily order spare tethers.

Please
or

WTF475878237NC · 12/05/2022 08:28

I agree with the above. Go back to rear facing. It's so much safer.

Axkid do some brilliant extended rear facing until 7 I think.

Please
or

FreshBananasEverywhere · 12/05/2022 08:43

There is a new Axkid Minikid that rearfaces up to 36kg - rear facing is definitely safer

Please
or

BertieBotts · 13/05/2022 09:42

Do you have top tether points in your car? If so you could get a FF seat that harnesses up to 25kg like Joie Bold or BabyAuto Dupla.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 13/05/2022 09:42

Rear facing is safer but you can't do it without the tethers.

Please
or

llibrollibre · 13/05/2022 09:43

You can buy spare/extra tethers separately for many models of rf seats.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 13/05/2022 09:47

Very true, yes you could buy another set, which would be cheaper than a new seat.

Please
or

1940s · 13/05/2022 09:59

He won't hate rear facing - buy him a few things to distract him - stickers etc / cd to sing along to in the car. It's so much safer for him so you need to make the right choice not one that's going to risk him having a whinge. At 3years8 months I wouldn't expect a tantrum either

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.