Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Confused about car seat regulations? Read our reviews of baby car seats, toddler car seats and booster seats to find out which ones are worth investing in.

HBB for large 7 year old

marparblah · 04/05/2022 21:09

Have NC for this

I have a very tall 7 year old.
37.5kg and 141cm. So nearly off chart for her age. Legally therefore she doesn't have to use any car seat but I am very uncomfortable with this.

Can I still use HBBs even though rates to 36kg?

Tia

OP's posts:
Please
or

Solasum · 04/05/2022 21:11

Maybe go with a booster cushion instead? That will mean the seatbelt is in the right place.

Please
or

RibNSaucyArseCrack · 04/05/2022 21:12

No point really. Just use a booster seat if you really have to.

Please
or

TheChurchOfEli · 04/05/2022 21:13

I can’t help but if you’re on Facebook “rear facing car seat safety” is an excellent fountain of knowledge for car seat advice.

Please
or

marparblah · 04/05/2022 21:19

Thank you!
Are booster cushions still legal?

OP's posts:
Please
or

JurasicPerks · 04/05/2022 21:34

I think booster cushions are only rated to 36kg too.
Yes, they are still legal. They changed the weight/height requirements (think over 125cm and 22kg), so not suitable for most 4 yr olds.

I know you are worried about her age, but have you looked at the 5 step test for car seats? That will guide you as to if she fits the adult seat.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 04/05/2022 21:42

Yes you can use any normal high backed booster. 36kg is just the end of the legal standard, so they can't be rated any higher, but it's the seatbelt that's taking her weight, not an integrated harness - it's not like going over the weight on a toddler seat.

It's safer to keep using one even though she's over 36kg than it would be to stop, even though it's legal for her not to use one. And safer to use a full high back than a backless. There is really no reason to change to a backless one unless her shoulders won't fit under the headrest any more.

Basically when they set up those weight categories it was 1982 and nobody dreamed of using a booster for a 12 year old so nobody bothered to think about whether 36kg was a reasonable end point or not!

The newer i-size ones don't have weight limits but there's nothing different about them than the old ones. Just carry on using the one you've got now.

Please
or

marparblah · 04/05/2022 21:50

BertieBotts

Yes you can use any normal high backed booster. 36kg is just the end of the legal standard, so they can't be rated any higher, but it's the seatbelt that's taking her weight, not an integrated harness - it's not like going over the weight on a toddler seat.

It's safer to keep using one even though she's over 36kg than it would be to stop, even though it's legal for her not to use one. And safer to use a full high back than a backless. There is really no reason to change to a backless one unless her shoulders won't fit under the headrest any more.

Basically when they set up those weight categories it was 1982 and nobody dreamed of using a booster for a 12 year old so nobody bothered to think about whether 36kg was a reasonable end point or not!

The newer i-size ones don't have weight limits but there's nothing different about them than the old ones. Just carry on using the one you've got now.

Thank you so much. That's incredibly helpful. Off to purchase a hbb and stop stressing!

OP's posts:
Please
or

SmallPrawnEnergy · 04/05/2022 21:53

RibNSaucyArseCrack

No point really. Just use a booster seat if you really have to.

Safety is the point surely? I don’t think you should have a Laissez-faire attitude to car safety.

HBB for large 7 year old
Please
or

HalfShrunkMoreToGo · 04/05/2022 21:54

We've just moved our 7year old to a booster cushion. They're legal once the child is over 125cm. DD is 134cm now, we would have kept her in the HBB for a while longer but we'd bought it in to the house to clean the cover and while showing off on it she managed to break the back off 😡

Please
or

BertieBotts · 04/05/2022 21:58

I'm confused, don't you already have one? Why do you need to buy a new one? What does she use now?

If you are buying a new one, take her with you so she can sit in the display models and you can see how much room she has in them to extend the headrest etc. (And so she can say if it's comfy!)

HalfShrunk it might be too late now, but was it actually snapped or just detached? A lot of them come apart for transport so the back will come off if you fold it flat to the floor, but it will pop straight back in again if you push it back together.

Please
or

HalfShrunkMoreToGo · 04/05/2022 22:04

Plastic snapped @BertieBotts it was totally buggered, usually I'll try and fix things where I can but this was beyond saving.

Please
or

marparblah · 04/05/2022 22:38

HalfShrunkMoreToGo

We've just moved our 7year old to a booster cushion. They're legal once the child is over 125cm. DD is 134cm now, we would have kept her in the HBB for a while longer but we'd bought it in to the house to clean the cover and while showing off on it she managed to break the back off 😡

Ooft. Nightmare

OP's posts:
Please
or

marparblah · 04/05/2022 22:40

BertieBotts

I'm confused, don't you already have one? Why do you need to buy a new one? What does she use now?

If you are buying a new one, take her with you so she can sit in the display models and you can see how much room she has in them to extend the headrest etc. (And so she can say if it's comfy!)

HalfShrunk it might be too late now, but was it actually snapped or just detached? A lot of them come apart for transport so the back will come off if you fold it flat to the floor, but it will pop straight back in again if you push it back together.

She has 2 hbbs in 2 vehicles.
These do not fit in the other vehicles that she has to travel in by necessity. So it's a minefield about what to purchase for her, hence my query. Not really much to be confused about.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BertieBotts · 05/05/2022 08:56

Ah I see sorry :)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.