Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Confused about car seat regulations? Read our reviews of baby car seats, toddler car seats and booster seats to find out which ones are worth investing in.

Which? safety alert - requesting refund/exchange

jjjggg333 · 16/03/2022 09:07

Hi all, my car seat, Chicco Seat4Fix, was included in Which?'s recent safety alert article here:

www.which.co.uk/news/2022/02/safety-alerts-added-to-four-child-car-seats-last-year-which-ones-are-they/

The product doesn't need to be recalled because Which?'s safety test is carried out to a slightly higher standard, but I've said to the shop and manufacturer that I'm no longer comfortable using it. They're unwilling to issue a refund or exchange - has anyone had any luck asking for this with any of the car seats in the article or with previous Which? safety alerts?

I know this issue arose a few years ago and the manufacturer and shop eventually agreed it was fair to offer refunds to those who wanted even without a product recall: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3882800/Parents-fury-brands-395-child-s-car-seat-Don-t-Buy-fails-safety-tests-manufacturer-won-t-recall-offer-refunds.html

Any help would be appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ChoiceMummy · 16/03/2022 20:58

I don't see how they would suddenly say yes as ultimately this meets the minimum standards expected and if you wanted soemthing meeting higher specs then the onus was on you perhaps finding soemthing that met the Danish standards at what would be about £150 more than you paid, but only up to about age 7.

I fully get your concern and I'd change seat, but I think yabu to expect a refund when, according to the law of the UK, it is fit for purpose.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 21/03/2022 10:06

I think you'd probably have to look at legal advice and claiming that way. The other seat that this happened to was a very popular (due to its low cost) model sold under several different names and that was why it got challenged IIRC. Unfortunately (or fortunately if it's no good?) I don't think the Chicco seat was every very popular in the UK.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 21/03/2022 10:09

Oh sorry I thought it was the Nania Trio/Babystart multi-recline in your link - the Nuna Rebl was popular because it was one of the early spinning ERF seats, not because of the price.

Swedish plus tested seats do not (all) cost £400 BTW.

Please
or

Itshothothot · 21/03/2022 10:13

Chicco is a well known crap brand.

The car seat passes the bare minimum standards (the uk car seat standards are scraping the barrel) so therefore I’m not surprised they have refused to refund.

I always stick to Cybex or Britax

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.